DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Request: Someone to help with a mod "primer"

I know, I know, I should start by reading the stickies, and I've tried, I really have, but even though I'm an MCSE, and have made my living with computers for the last decade, I have this weird hangup about "creating" content.

So, to that end, I'm turning to you all for help.

I'd like to, eventually, create a few Eberron-based edits to my character sheets (like Action Points).

Someone once mentioned they might create a tutorial on how to do something of that sort, but it never surfaced. To avoid even touching on issues of distribution, copyright, and the like, I was wondering if someone out there could show how to create something like, oh, let's call them "Battle Points".

How would I go about editing the default d20 ruleset to include a "Battle Points" counter on my character sheet? Let's say a character gets level*2+1 battle points.

Anyone want to show me how to make this hypothetical edit? I tend to learn best by doing, so I think if I started with something like this, I should be able to grok where other edits I'd like to make would fall in.
    This space for rent!

I don't think it is the right time for someone to put a whole lot of effort into making a tutorial or starting a new ruleset until the new version comes out. There is going to be so much that changes with the scripting that most likely you would have to go back later and redo the sheet.

Making such an edit wouldn't be too hard. There would be a few basic steps to it.

The first thing to do would be to make a new ruleset folder (named for you or something [NO spaces in the name]), and copy the base.xml, charsheet.xml, and d20_graphics.xml files from the default d20 ruleset over into it. Rename d20_graphics to <your>_graphics.xml. You will copy additional files as needed.

Open up the base.xml file in your ruleset and change the d20 in the following lines to your own ruleset's name:
    Code:
    <includefile source="rulesets\d20\d20_graphics.xml" />
    <includefile source="rulesets\d20\charsheet.xml" />
    Next, open up \rulesets\d20\frames\charsheet_main.png with your preferred graphics manipulation program. Pick a place on the character sheet where you want the number to appear. A simple way to do it would be to copy one of the rectangles already commonly used, like the ones in the Initiative and BAB section, paste it somewhere, and then put a bit of text above or below it, labeling it "Battle Points" or "BP" or something. Those rectangles are 34x23 pixels, and are nicely sized to show numbers. Make the following folder : \rulesets\your_ruleset\frames and save the modified image in there. Also, make note of the box's top-left pixel's coordinate, as well as the dimentions of the rectangle. If you copied the existing box, you already know the dimentions, and only need to record the starting coordinates.
    [You don't have to put it on the main page. If you put it on a different page, make the appropriate corrections throughout.]

Next, open up the <your>_graphics.xml file. Find the following part, and change d20 to your ruleset's name. This points FG to your modified charsheet_main image.
    Code:
    <framedef name="charsheet_main">
         <bitmap file="rulesets\d20\frames\charsheet_main.png" />
    Lastly, to create the code to handle the number. Open the charsheet.xml file. Find the following part:
    Code:
        <windowclass name="charsheet_main">
            <frame name="charsheet_main" />
            <datasource name="charsheet" />
            <defaultsize width="550" height="685" />
            <sheetdata>
                <numbercontrol name="strength">
    Insert the following bit of code, in between the <sheetdata> and <numbercontrol name="strength">. Indent it so that it matches the other numbercontrols (just to make it look proper). Replace X,Y,width,length with the values you recorded earlier.
    Code:
                <numbercontrol name="battlepoints">
                    <bounds rect="X,Y,width,length" />
                    <nodrag />
                    <nodrop />
                    <noreset />
                    <description text="Battle Points" />
                    <limits minimum="0" maximum="100" />
                </numbercontrol>
    If you did everything correctly, you should be able to start a new Campaign using your new ruleset, and have the BP box show up. It won't calculate how many your characters have, as it's simply a number box, like any of the other number boxes.

If this doesn't work for you, I'd be glad to help you out futher sometime. Just let me know.
    helio
    Last edited by heliopolix; June 24th, 2006 at 01:28.

Quote Originally Posted by heliopolix
    Making such an edit wouldn't be too hard. There would be a few basic steps to it.

The first thing to do would be to make a new ruleset folder (named for you or something [NO spaces in the name]), and copy the base.xml, charsheet.xml, and d20_graphics.xml files from the default d20 ruleset over into it. Rename d20_graphics to <your>_graphics.xml. You will copy additional files as needed.

<...SNIP...>

If this doesn't work for you, I'd be glad to help you out futher sometime. Just let me know.
    helio
    I'm at work right now, but your directions look pretty straightforward and simple. I'll be sure to give it a try this weekend when time permits.
    This space for rent!

Thread Information