STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 18 First ... 2345614 ... Last

Thread: Engineer Suite

OK - so when I launch the .ini file, I see it pop up in the window and fill in the thumbnail picture etc. My problem is, where do I go from there (that is the step where you stated "Close this window and continue editing to your heart's content)? When I close out of that window, it just sends me to basically the launch window with the buttons. I've attached the screenshot of the screen that I'm not clear where to go/what to do after to start adding additional monsters/NPCs. I appreciate your patience! Thanks.
    Screenshot.jpg

Blog Entries
    I use it.
    I recommend it.
    I bought Maasq 700 coffees. (Disclaimer: I may not know how much a coffee is because I don't drink coffee)
    DO IT!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

@Dax - Your picture is the Project Settings dialog. Make whatever changes you might need (probably none since you are editing an existing module/project). If you made changes, then save them and then close this dialog.

That will return you to the main launcher dialog with the six big icons.

Now select the icon for the content you wish to add or edit. That will open the dialog for the content type you will edit. This should open the last edited item of that type. You can edit it, or select one of the other items from the file/open menu.

Remember to save the edits if you ever want to edit them again (very likely) and update project to transfer/update the item into the project.

Either open new items to edit, or close this dialog and open another item type to edit/add.

When done close the dialog until you are at the launch dialog again. In the bottom right corner select the button to update/create the modified/new module in the FG folder.

A project is the configuration information and data that will be 'compiled' into the module file.

HI Xemit,
    Thanks for the reply. The issue is when I'm back at the big icons page and choose NPC Engineer, it opens the blank screen to enter the NPC. However, as best I can tell, it's not in any "project". I guess my question/issue is, how do I 'pull up' a project to modify it? I'm sure it's something easy and I'm being totally stupid (as usual) but it isn't clear to me how to do that. When I first create a project, there are no issues. However, trying to go back into it or open a new project is where I'm having the issue...

Hi Dax

Sorry for the late reply - they make me work for a living *grumble*

Xemit's description is perfect. Do you have Discord? This sort of thing works far better with screenshare, or at the least back-and-forward conversation. If not, what is it you are trying to do when you say you want to modify a project? Add monsters, add spells, delete monsters, delete spells? This will help me direct you.

Your screenshot shows that you have pulled up a project. When you hit close on that dialog, the project will be loaded. You will be returned to wherever you entered the project management from. The status bar should show the name of the currently loaded project at the bottom left of each window.

In NPC Engineer, choose 'Options | manage npcs.json' or press CTRL-M. This opens a small dialog where you can delete an npc from the project. You can also choose to edit one from the list, but it is better to load the NPC from its *.npc file. This was a last resort option in case you hadn't saved the npc separately or had deleted it somehow.

If you have a list of NPCs, then your project is open and anything you add will add to that project.

A project is just an ini file with all the options you have chosen, along with any saved files on your hard drive. Think of it as being a folder in a traditional filing cabinet. All the important documents are in the folder so they are held together, and there's some writing on the folder to identify it (the ini file), but you wouldn't ever be editing the folder - just the files inside. Does that make more sense?

Try to catch me on Discord if you can. I can show you via screenshare

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Rob bought me a whole coffee factory. I am most grateful!
    I am now legally bound to bear his children

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Discord channel.

Hi Maasq,
    Thanks for the reply and no worries, I don't think it was a 'late reply'. You've always been quite patient and generous with your time when I've asked questions and I greatly appreciate it. I'm travelling and probably won't be able to get back to this until next Wed so I'll see if we can sync up then (fyi - I'm on EST in the USA). Let me try to ask my question a different way. I want to add monsters to a module that was already created in the Engineer. I understand that you basically do this by calling up the project in the Engineer and then export the same module again and it will override the previous. I get that. My question is, once you get to the screenshot which I've attached above, I'm to close out of the dialogue box after choosing the project via the named .ini file. When I close out of the project, it brings me to the main screen with the 6 large, colored buttons. I then click into the green NPC Engineer portion (the icon of the dragon which you use for your little avatar here). Where does it indicate which project that I'm in or that in fact that I am in the project that I chose? How do I know that I'm in this Project. Am I just now automagically in that project? What if I chose the wrong project by accident - how would I know this? Thanks as always!!

Hi Dax

The answers are the same, I am afraid

• Once you open the project in the screen in your screenshot, that's it. The project is selected. It is an open box, and anything you create and add will add to that project.
    • The status bar at the bottom of every window tells you the project that is open. If it says nothing, you have no project open.
    • After the project name you'll see how many items are currently in the project in brackets.

See the screenshots. In both, '1d6 Adventurers Compendium' is open. You can tell because the name is present at the bottom left corner in the status bar.
    In NPC Engineer, you can also see that there are 510 NPCs already in the project.

Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    To add a new NPC, just enter it in the same way - import, type it up - then click 'add to project' as you've done for all the other NPCs you've created.

Remember to click the 'Create Module' button to update your FG module!

I hope this helps, buddy. If not, you'll need to see it in action to convince yourself. The thing is, you're not doing anything wrong - you're just not believing the project is open.

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Ahhhh!! OK. I see it on the 6 button page. I guess my issue is when I click the NPC Engineer button from there, the dialogue box pops up and in the bottom left, it says "None Loaded". The second screenshot is the one where I'm not seeing the message of the module name and number of NPCs...

Hey there.
    This looks to be a bug, but not one I can reproduce. The previous iteration had issues like this but I don't think they went public - I think they were fixed before release. In any case, you have the latest release. I know this because of the debug code issue

So an appeal. Can anyone else reproduce Dax's issue, and if so - what causes it?

Dax - as soon as we can screenshare we'll get a better idea.

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Thread Information