5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 18 First 1234513 ... Last

Thread: Engineer Suite

New version (v0.4.26) released and on the website now!

This consists mainly of bug fixes, including those mentioned here, but one new feature made its way in. There are now button bar options to 'load previous' and 'load next' in each component to allow quick cycling through if you have to update a whole load of items at once. The sorting is alphabetical in case you were wondering

Thanks in particular to those on Discord who provide questions, bug spotting, suggestions and support when I need it!

Maasq.
    (Not a natural in front of the camera!)
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Thank you so much for this software. My FG is less responsive than I like. Making an npc usually takes me 5-15 minutes. With your software, since I can copy and paste from sources, it took me less than 1 minute. Making the module was also easy. This will make a big difference in my session prep and converting a lot of my resources to FG.

Thank you, Viviolay! It's great to hear that the application is having a positive effect. Also, thank you for the donation; that was most kind of you!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Discord channel.

Maasq, this is great software. Thank you.

I've been playing around with the NPC Engineer and only found the following 'issue':
    When importing text using the PDF & Web Source converter: if an en dash (−) is encountered in the Hit Points section, it translates to a question mark (?) instead of a hyphen-minus (-).

If this is something you decide to change, you may want to set the replacement filter logic to look for em dashes (—) as well --- I've seen them pop in from copy/pastes on other fields (Languages), although they aren't causing any conversion issues that I've noted.

edit: I just observed that this only impacts the preview window, when you click Import and Return the stat block renders the en dash character instead of the question mark.
    Last edited by Kalua; October 24th, 2018 at 06:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalua View Post
    Maasq, this is great software. Thank you.
    Thank you for saying so!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalua View Post
    edit: I just observed that this only impacts the preview window, when you click Import and Return the stat block renders the en dash character instead of the question mark.
    That's good to know. The preview in the import box is RTF and things can throw RTF. When I was writing NPCE I couldn't get the HTML to work for both the main GUI and the import. Somehow I overcame whatever issue I had faced by the time I got to Spell Engineer - I remember having an 'AHA!' moment - so I'll go back and replace the dodgy RTF element with a shiny HTML one.

Also on my 'to do' list... I will sort out accented characters so that they work in the 'Description' box. I know that isn't what you were pointing out, but it is somewhat linked in my head, so I thought I'd mention it!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Hi folks!

New update (v0.4.38). This one contains the GUI for Equipment Engineer for you to play about with and spot issues, but don't expect anything to happen on the right hand side. Or anywhere else Just the main GUI.

Several little changes to NPC Engineer too; bug fixes, updates, and the addition of support for accented characters.

I hope you all love it Get it from the website and let me know how you get on here or on Discord.

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Massq,
    A quick question on the creating modules part. I watched your YouTube on this (which was very helpful btw - thanks). A couple of things / questions. The first is more an FYI (I'm not sure this is normally supposed to be happening), when I launch the Engineer Suite, occasionally a pop up message box pops up saying: "4308" (I think that was the number). This also happens sometimes when I click "check for updates" (that's definitely the number). When I click "OK" it then launches another message box that says that I have the most current version.

I have two questions, once you create a module using NPC Engineer, are you able to later go back and add to it and then recreate (to basically override)? If so, what is the quickest way to call up a previously created module. Is it click "Directories" >>"View Projects Folder" and then click on the associated .ini file? I also notice that there are sub-folders in the Project Folder which have further subfolders of input & output. So I'm a bit confused which to choose. I'm sure I'm making this harder than it should be but I have the computer aptitude of a rock - lol.

The second question is, when I want to create additions say to Weapons or Actions to the drop down in the Action Tab, are those items created available from there on out for all creatures in the future, just for the project or is it just for that one creature? My apologizes in advance for the dumb questions - lol!! Thanks for creating this tool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    The first is more an FYI (I'm not sure this is normally supposed to be happening), when I launch the Engineer Suite, occasionally a pop up message box pops up saying: "4308" (I think that was the number). This also happens sometimes when I click "check for updates" (that's definitely the number). When I click "OK" it then launches another message box that says that I have the most current version.
    That was bug test code that I forgot to comment back out. I am blushing Can I ask that everyone who sees this on this version just pretend it isn't there? The next version will have it removed, of course.

once you create a module using NPC Engineer, are you able to later go back and add to it and then recreate (to basically override)? If so, what is the quickest way to call up a previously created module. Is it click "Directories" >>"View Projects Folder" and then click on the associated .ini file?
    You don't need to reload a module (and in fact, you can't. I never bothered with the decoding of a module!) Once a module is written, it is out of your control - think of it as a Polaroid of your work up to that point. You can continue to work on the project in Engineer Suite and just save out a new Module whenever you want. It will overwrite the previous version. If you don't have Engineer Suite set to reopen a Project at launch, you use Project Engineer (blue button) to load up one of your projects. I hope this explains it fully!

I also notice that there are sub-folders in the Project Folder which have further subfolders of input & output. So I'm a bit confused which to choose. I'm sure I'm making this harder than it should be but I have the computer aptitude of a rock - lol.
    Short answer - stay out of those folders. Longer answer - still stay out of those folders
    The folders are where Engineer Suite stores files in preparation for making Modules. You shouldn't need to go in here, really. The 'input' and 'output' folders are redundant for my work, and are just a hangover from trying to make Suite compatible with Par5e.

The second question is, when I want to create additions say to Weapons or Actions to the drop down in the Action Tab, are those items created available from there on out for all creatures in the future, just for the project or is it just for that one creature?
    Those are ambiguous. Let me try to clear them up.

• If you add a new weapon or action as part of a creature - in the creature tab, as you mentioned - then that is an edit for that creature alone. It won't be available elsewhere.
    • If you add a weapon, action or trait using the menu items 'manage weapons.json', 'manage actions.json', or 'manage traits.json' (all in the Options menu) then these are global - they will be available in all projects from here on in.

My apologizes in advance for the dumb questions - lol!! Thanks for creating this tool!!
    There are no such things as dumb questions, mate. Happy to answer them!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Hey Maasq,
    Thanks as always for the detailed reply. OK - I guess I misspoke for the second point about reloading a module. Replace the word 'module' with 'project'. My question is, how do I get to a previous project that I created? I can't seem to figure this out and I'm sure it's something incredibly easy that I'm being obtuse about. The weapon/action answer does clear it up for me and means I should probably use the menu option for there on out - lol. Thanks again for all your hard work!!

To reload a project, you go to the project management element. Either click on the big blue button top right in the launch screen, or use 'Engineer Suite | Manage Project' from within any part of the suite. Once on this screen (see screenshot), there are 3 icons top left to create a new project, load a previous one, or save. You click the centre one to load a previous project. A project file is an ini file, so now I see what you were asking - yes, you double click on the appropriately-named ini file offered to you here.

So 'Engineer Suite | Manage Project' (or the big blue button from the home screen)
    Followed by 'Load Project' - the centre button on the button bar top left
    Then select your project's ini file.
    Close this window and continue editing to your heart's content!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Thread Information