STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    Not surprised, some people loved that module... but I'm not sure how popular it was at the time as it didn't inspire a new wave of genre-bending adventures. Ended up being just a one-off.

I know it never appealed to me... back then when I needed to scratch the sci-fi itch I played Star Frontiers or Gamma World.

As for the OP's interest in settings with a "magic and tech" blend I think they should check out Shadowrun (Cybertech and Fantasy fusion) or the more recent Starfinder (Sci-Fi and Fantasy fusion.) Neither is set in the exact era they're looking for (late Middle Ages or Victorian)... for that setting maybe some Steampunk based settings would be closer?
    That is the first purchase I can ever remember making that I recall experiencing "buyers remorse".
    Buying a D&D module back in those days was a big expense for me and I was sooo dissapointed with the adventure.

One setting that is in a nutshell Shadowrun steampunk would be Victoriana. Wasn't a bad system and the group I ran it for had a blast.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/...211/Victoriana

thank you all for the ideas, i will see if i can find some things in those to convert to 5th ed. D&D. i have played some of these systems before so i have an ides of where to look. i like the steampunk setting might be able to tweek it.

Well specifically for 5e there is Ravenloft which has individual realms that run all the way up to Victorian England. Newer stuff has toned down the technology but older 2e content used flintlocks and clockworks in some of the realms. You don't need to do any converting because the guns are already in the DM's guide for 5e and Ravenloft was given its own year of Adventurer's League content starting with the Curse of Strahd adventure. So all the converting was done for you.

Mystara has a spaceship, a few robots, some lasers and other things like that compliments of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. Again most of it was from older editions, see Temple of the Frog for a fun adventure with laser guns (check the cover art at that link, hehe). This is more "technology is lost but a few bits can be dug up here or there" rather than full integration. But Temple was legitimately written by Dave, and he did two others. There is a fourth in the series but Dave didn't write the fourth one.

Another game/setting with this but much more deeply integrated is Rolemaster's Shadow World/Kulthea. That world was the capital of a galaxy-spanning empire that nuked itself back to the stone age in a civil war and rebuilt using magic not technology. Most of the races were genetically engineered or imported from off world but don't know that is their origin, there's still a LOT of holdovers from those days and many magical devices recreate technology like screens, holograms, guns, vehicles, etc. as well as a few actual tech devices that people often think are magic. Rolemaster is supported on FG.

Of course Spelljammer is the ultimate fully integrated technology with magic for DnD upto and including spaceships. I admit to using influences from spelljammer heavily in my own campaign settings.
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; October 7th, 2018 at 19:18.

If you are set on 5E, I'm not sure. If you and players are willing to branch out then you might try Triple Ace Games, Leagues of Adventure. It is currently being offered in a heck of a Bundled deal.

Leagues of Adventure is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian Age, a gritty steampunk game where the hostile natives are a serious threat,
    a pulp action game where the characters eat savage warriors for breakfast, a highly cinematic one which allows the characters to swing single-handedly from the underside of an early airship while bare-knuckle boxing pterodactyls over a lost plateau.
    It uses the Ubiquity system which can easily be adapted in the MoreCore Extension to play the game.

Cheers and good gaming!

Thread Information