DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

So, new edition of Savage Worlds.

New version coming it looks like.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...-Worlds-Coming!

Since printing costs have gone up so much, the price will increase to $40 for hardback and $30 for softback (pdf pricing still being determined), so upgrading to the newest edition isn't an automatic buy for me like it was in the past when the core book costs just $10. Since I only play via FG these days, I'm really more interested to see how Ikael deals with this. I'm assuming that since (as with past updates) the changes will be made available as a free pdf download, that barring some licensing reason, he can incorporate them in the rulesel without Smiteworks having to charge us for a new edition. I'm also curious if (some of) the changes can be ignored for those of us that are currently running games that don't want to fully implement all the changes mid-campaign.

Blog Entries
    Firstly I think that PegInc will want to - and should - charge for a new version.
    Someone had to draw all that art and write all those words and do all that layout.

Secondly I think that regardless of above it ought to be a new license/version on FG.
    For all the same reasons + coding.

Just my opinion

I think charging for the edition change is entirely appropriate, and has abundant precedence.

Call of Cthulhu charged for the change in the edition from 6th to 7th.

I'll be really surprised if Pathfinder doesn't charge when the official 2nd Ed comes out.

Blog Entries
    Pinnacle said there would be a free PDF detailing how to convert from Deluxe to the new edition. Otherwise, yeah the price increased (rightfully so) for the books because the $10 target was a loss for them given not only printing and shipping costs but also the lack of shelf space for anything that isn't D&D or Pathfinder/Starfinder these days in gaming stores.

Fantasy Grounds-wise, that could be another story altogether. Discussions have not started yet, but it's entirely possible that SmiteWorks could decide the best course of action is to create a whole new ruleset, that way people can still play Deluxe if they don't want to switch to the new rules. Or they could decide to increase the ruleset price (for new customers not existing ones) and simply upgrade the ruleset we already use. But that means you're forced to play under the new rules. Either way, ideally all the DLC should still work prior to an official release.

Hopefully I didn't just put words in @Ikael's mouth there; he can jump in and correct anything or provide more details once a decision has been made how to proceed.

Blog Entries
    Something else to add into the equation, is Ikael willing or able to maintain a second Savage Worlds ruleset?
    Ultimate License Holder

If we're talking 2 rulesets I don't think he'd really have to "maintain" 2. The current SWD ruleset would, IMHO, be locked at its state at the time of the new Savage Worlds release and any new features and updates would focus to the new rules. That being said there are certainly some changes coming, but I don't know that most of it will be too crazily different. Some will be, such as capping damage, but some of that is already available as an option and most of the "new" rules are actually incorporated into the Flash Gordon setting right now. In other words I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't possible to just set it so that individual differences could simply be selected as options to turn on or off from the GM Options. I could be completely wrong about that and until the Kickstarter is complete and we get the new rules in hand I don't suppose we will necessarily know for sure (although the FG folks MIGHT get a pre-release copy to try to get a head start on things) just what changes will be made and how they will impact the current ruleset in FG.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

folks, this isn't D&D - this isn't a complete re-write of the rules. Much like how Deluxe added and cleared up things in Explorer edition, this will be an update to the rules, mostly due to input from people using the system. Nothing to worry about. I'll be getting a softcover and pdf, like I have in the past - to support my favorite system and have on hand, rules to give to my players. I think that they'll also offer a errata update like they did when the other versions came out like they said here;

"rest assured that the game is very compatible with previous editions and settings and we will publish a FREE conversion and update guide."

I see no reason that we should have to buy the ruleset again once this comes out. I bought the Savage Worlds rules - and that's what these will be. I think that if it involves a whole bunch of changes to Fantasy Grounds, then we should be offered an 'upgrade' to our Savage Worlds modules if we want the new features. I would go with that. But, not having to pay again for the same stuff.

Oh well, we'll just have to see what the future holds. Either way, I'll be supporting the kickstarter and if I have to, getting my FG updated as well.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

Yeah, Savage Worlds has always taken the incremental/evolution approach to rules updates. It's less a whole number edition change than a fractional one with a new printing. Even PEG doesn't use edition numbers and have said that the latest version will just be Savage Worlds (Black was just the dev codename), not Savage Worlds 5th Edition (Savage Worlds, SW Revised, SW Explorer's edition, SW Deluxe, Savage Worlds<Black>. SWDEE didn't introduce any rule changes). I don't see Ikael having to put more work into implementing the changes than what he has already done just in the last 6 months improving the existing ruleset. OTOH, since SW has been my system of choice for over 10 years and FG is my only way to currently play, I'll pay whatever is necessary to keep being able to do so. But yes, only time will tell.

I'm willing to buy a new "updated" ruleset (even if it only a few tweaks) but I very much need it to be able to use older SW mods and such. I've got a huge investment in current edition works. In fact, I still need to finish my FG Hellfrost collection once there's another sale. Any guarantees of backward compatibility?

Thread Information