5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

this app can't run on your PC error

Im running a laptop with windows 10. I had an error with some game files so i attempted to uninstall and reinstall the program. When i launched the FGwebinstall for windows it pulls up the updater and tries to run.
    fantasy grounds updater V3.3.4
    getting packages from FG server
    getting example from FG server
    getting purchases from FG server
    Checking package FantasyGrounds Updater for updates
    updating FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
    updating FGUpdater.exe
    ERROR - GetPackagefiles: network : time out
    Retrying in 10 seconds
    updating FGUpdaterEngine.exe
    Priority update check complete

Then i get a Windows error message saying : This app can't run on your PC to find a version for your PC,check with the software publisher
    after exiting that the Fantasy grounds updater throws an error.
    UpdaterEngine: unable to restart FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
    Program Path: C:/program files (86)/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
    Command Line:
    Error: 1223

I've tried using CCleaner and a SFC scan to check and repair any Registry Errors because my searches said that might fix it but it is still giving me the same errors.

Welcome to the forums, sorry you're having issues.

This sounds like a classic example of some anti-virus/security software blocking Fantasy Grounds and the updater from accessing the Internet and running correctly.

Some things to try:
    1) Make sure your network interface is set as "Private" not public.
    2) Try reinstalling FG.
    3) Make sure you have an exception set in your security/anti-virus applications for FantasyGrounds.exe and FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
    4) If the exceptions in the security apps don't work, try temporarily disabling all of your security applications.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I use Windows Defender. I've made inbound and outbound exceptions in the firewall.
    I tried turning it off and reinstalling, but I still receive the same results.

The installer is making a FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe & FGUpdaterEngine.exe in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds file but both are showing as 0KB and prompt the This app can't run on your PC error when clicked.
    when I run the installer I'm still getting the same result as above.

Quote Originally Posted by lyko55 View Post
    The installer is making a FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe & FGUpdaterEngine.exe in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds file but both are showing as 0KB
    This definitely sounds like something on your PC is blocking either the initial install, or the updating of these files over the Internet.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Windows Defender is terrible at creating multiple rules for Fantasy Grounds. Delete any rules which already exist and create a single new rule for the entire install directory. Also make sure that you have exceptions in any malware or other protection software. And if you have Malwarebytes disable enhanced web protection.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I went into my backups and copied the old folders over. It will let me open fantasy grounds Version 3.3.5 ultimate. but when i click on update available button it goes to the: This app cant run on your PC and just has a blank black box for the updater.exe
    Also when I try to update the copied FGUpdaterEngine goes from 2810kb to 0kb after recieving the error.

Quote Originally Posted by lyko55 View Post
    I went into my backups and copied the old folders over. It will let me open fantasy grounds Version 3.3.5 ultimate. but when i click on update available button it goes to the: This app cant run on your PC and just has a blank black box for the updater.exe
    Also when I try to update the copied FGUpdaterEngine goes from 2810kb to 0kb after recieving the error.
    Yep, this is pointing to something on your computer or your network blocking the download of the updated files.

Make sure that your network connection on your computer is set to Private.

Check on your Internet router to see if there is any parental control or similar blocking access to the FG download server.

Router isn't blocking anything. Network is on private. I've went into windows defender and turned it off and am still having the same error. Could their be some old file from the previous install of it?
    when I'm in the Fantasy grounds proper it is giving me a green Success on the connection test it just gives me an Error: unable to load ruleset file (base.xml) if i try to launch my campaign

I've done a fresh install of windows so there are no hidden antiviruses beyond windows defender and with that turned completely off as well I am still getting the same errors.

Reboot your Internet router. Double check there is no filter or anything else on your router.

Something, somewhere in your connection to the Internet is blocking the download.

Thread Information