FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 12 of 30 First ... 2101112131422 ... Last
    In the inventory tab of the character sheet, the container section for each line is not case-sensitive when determining visual grouping, but it is case-sensitive when determining when grouping the changes in equipped/carried/not carried status of the container, which is a pretty confusing UX.

Quote Originally Posted by slitherrr View Post
    In the inventory tab of the character sheet, the container section for each line is not case-sensitive when determining visual grouping, but it is case-sensitive when determining when grouping the changes in equipped/carried/not carried status of the container, which is a pretty confusing UX.
    I'm not sure I understand. To place something in a container you must obviously type in the correct container name and as you say it is case sensitive. I don't understand your second point. Determining if something is carries/ equipped etc is a toggle and I don't see where case sensitivity comes into that. Can you maybe post a screenshot of what you mean.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Brown & Black Bear got a buff to their attack bonus in the recent errata - this was applied to the PHB bears but appears to have been missed from the Basic Rules versions

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendJ View Post
    Brown & Black Bear got a buff to their attack bonus in the recent errata - this was applied to the PHB bears but appears to have been missed from the Basic Rules versions
    Yep I haven't got around to updating the basic rules or the SRD yet. Coming soon
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

When dragging and dropping the Hex spell from 5e D&D Players Handbook -- the created coding includes [ROLL] which causes it to expend on next roll. Expend should be Never (until duration).
    Hex coding PHB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mshall View Post
    When dragging and dropping the Hex spell from 5e D&D Players Handbook -- the created coding includes [ROLL] which causes it to expend on next roll. Expend should be Never (until duration).
    Difficult one this. This effect isn’t created by the parser but rather it is hard coded. I think it should be removed after each hit since the way that it is set up if it remained then the caster would get the extra damage every time they did damage whether the attack is against the hexed target or not.

See video six in this series for a better way to handle the hex spell. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Videos-for-5E

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Difficult one this. This effect isn’t created by the parser but rather it is hard coded. I think it should be removed after each hit since the way that it is set up if it remained then the caster would get the extra damage every time they did damage whether the attack is against the hexed target or not.

See video six in this series for a better way to handle the hex spell. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Videos-for-5E
    Thank you for the very quick reply Zacchaeus. And thank you for this video and the many others you have done. That is a large amount of time and effort devoted to help the community, thank you very much.

After setting expend on Hex to Never (it removes [ROLL] from effect code), I had used the shift-drag method to identify the specific target of the extra damage from Hex.

I have now taken a look at the video six that you suggested and found that what I had done ended being exactly the same as what you did with the Hunter's Mark example in the video (changed expend to Never and then used shift-drag). (about 5:14 in the video)
    and also with the Hex example at about 8:20 which is treated in the same way.

Of course from this and some videos I had watched, I know there is usually more than one way to accomplish something. But even with the custom target method you describe in the latter half of the video, you still set the expend to Never.

So why is the PHB coded for expend of [ROLL] for Hex and for Hunter's Mark as well? Shouldn't this then be considered a bug and corrected to be expend of Never?

The custom tag is probably more elegant, but if the PHB was coded as expend of Never, it could be used as is (with shift-drag) without having to edit the settings.

I am very much a newbie so certainly I could be wrong in several ways. Thank you again for your help.

I’ll see what I can do.

There are a few reasons why the effect for Hex shows up like it does:

* All spells are automatically parsed for actions (attack, damage, heal, save, effects), unless specifically overriden.

* Hex is not an overriden spell, because the effect is technically accurate. The damage effect only applies once the target has been "marked" by the Hex or Hunter's Mark spell. The caster doesn't automatically get the damage bonus on every damage roll, only those against the target which they have spent a bonus action to "mark".

* While you mention "effect targeting" using shift drag along with always on as a solution, the shift-drag behavior for effect targeting is confusing for most users, which means they either don't know that it exists, or it is confusing to activate correctly. It's something we want to change eventually. So, locking the action interpretation of the spell into "Always" would cause problems for the average user as well, since they would always do extra damage.

So, while I could "override" the auto-parsing of effects for this spell, I don't think that the always on flag is the solution for the reasons given above. For now, it will remain as is.

If you want to do a more advanced version of the effects using two different effects, which I would probably be the implementation I would use if I were to override:
    * "IFT: CUSTOM(Hexed); DMG: 1d6; (C)" (applied to self at start of session, always on)
    * "Hexed; (C)" (applied to target when bonus action used, always on) (technically one hour duration, but that usually exceeds the lifespan of attacker or defender)

Regards,
    JPG

When I try to add a title to a listitem in notes it will only let me type a single character before jumping to the chat and typing the rest. All extensions are disabled.

Thread Information