5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Help with campaign

This will be my first time trying to DM and make a campaign. I have an idea in mind for one that involves a few dragons. If anyone can help it would be really appreciated. It would also help out to understand if you have seen the anime Highschool DXD

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forums!

I haven't seen the anime but I would be happy to help you get started with your campaign. I will need you to answer a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Do you have a Ruleset in mind that you are comfortable with and enjoy? Example: D&D 5th Edition or Savage Worlds

2. Do you want your campaign to be High Fantasy like "Lord of the Rings" or do you want it to be more like Midevel Times with Dragons? What Genre / Era do you prefer?

3. How much experience do you have on the Fantasy Grounds VTT as a player?

If you could answer those for me, we can get you on the way to running your campaign.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Thank you very much. The Ruleset I had in mind would be Pathfinder. The Era would be kind of present day expect the world ended in 2013 with a bunch of natural disasters and with that there was a one god who got powerful enough to wipe out all the others and after that happened magic got reintroduced to the world and it is 8 years later, so it would be the year 2021. And I don’t have any experience on the Fantasy Grounds VTT, I’ve never been a DM before, and I’m in the middle of playing my only campaign that I’ve ever played
    Last edited by Becarri; August 26th, 2018 at 19:05. Reason: Forgot to add what year it was

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Becarri View Post
    Thank you very much. The Ruleset I had in mind would be Pathfinder. The Era would be kind of present day expect the world ended in 2013 with a bunch of natural disasters and with that there was a one god who got powerful enough to wipe out all the others and after that happened magic got reintroduced to the world and it is 8 years later, so it would be the year 2021. And I don’t have any experience on the Fantasy Grounds VTT, I’ve never been a DM before, and I’m in the middle of playing my only campaign that I’ve ever played
    That does sound like a lot to bite off at this stage.
    Pathfinder has a degree of difficulty, learning FG has a degree of difficulty, learning to GM can take some time and writing an RPG can also take some practice!
    But in the Age of the Dragon God I think you can do it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Becarri View Post
    Ok so Post-Apocalyptic Pathfinder. First you will need to purchase at least the standard subscription to FG (Ultimate if you want to allow demo players in your game) Then you will need the Pathfinder CORE Books. This will give you everything you need to start creating your campaign.

The Story button is your best friend. You should create a new story group and name it Chapter 1 - WHATEVERYOUWANT then inside that chapter create stories numberd 001 through 999. Inside the story sheet you can link to your batlle maps, images, encounters, loot parcels, notes, NPC's and much more. This way you can keep your campaign organized. You can find all kinds of resources here on the forums and the FG discord to help you. There are also tons of tutorial videos on YouTube by ddavison and many others.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you won't want to railroad your players. Here is a great post about creating your own campaign module
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Best-Practices

Get started with your Story and when you are ready we will move on to pacing, creating NPC's, encounters and more.

My Blog

@Becarri - you don't *need* to buy any of the Pathfinder Core Books. The FG license comes with the PFRPG ruleset and OGL library data modules included. There are also a lot of community produced OGL data modules available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules

The official Paizo products add some nice features (like a reference manual for most, artwork and tokens for creatures), if you want all that then consider making some additional purchases, but you don't need them. People were playing Pathfinder on Fantasy Grounds for years before the official Paizo licensed products started coming out on FG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    @Becarri - you don't *need* to buy any of the Pathfinder Core Books. The FG license comes with the PFRPG ruleset and OGL library data modules included. There are also a lot of community produced OGL data modules available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules

The official Paizo products add some nice features (like a reference manual for most, artwork and tokens for creatures), if you want all that then consider making some additional purchases, but you don't need them. People were playing Pathfinder on Fantasy Grounds for years before the official Paizo licensed products started coming out on FG.
    You don't "need" to do anything that is very true. I should have prefaced that in my opinion the books are a great resource to have. But no you don't need them.

My Blog

Thank you very much guys! I’ll get to working on all of that tomorrow morning and hopefully I’ll be able to move on to the next stage of making my campaign soon! If I have any questions I’ll post here and see if you can help me answer them

Thread Information