DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    No more info. Its a little way off yet.
    Tease.

I've been learning recently about PbtA games and would enjoy playing in one to try the rules system, if someone on this thread feels motivated to run a one shot.

Thanks in advance.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Trelane View Post
    I've been learning recently about PbtA games and would enjoy playing in one to try the rules system, if someone on this thread feels motivated to run a one shot.

Thanks in advance.
    What kind of setting are you looking for? I've run fantasy (Dungeon World), and alternate '70s (Spirit of '77), but I also have Apocalypse World if you prefer something a little more Mad Max. We'd just need to gather 2-3 others.

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    What kind of setting are you looking for? I've run fantasy (Dungeon World), and alternate '70s (Spirit of '77), but I also have Apocalypse World if you prefer something a little more Mad Max. We'd just need to gather 2-3 others.
    I'd love to try Apocalypse World itself -- Mad Max is great (which is the best movie? Thread drift...). Blades in the Dark also looks wicked cool. And City of Mist is gorgeous (but I'm not sure how much it uses vs alters PbtA?).

That said, beggars can't be choosers. I'm mostly hoping to try out PbtA rules since they seem to be great for sandbox play... this is a Holy Grail, a white whale of sorts, for RPG design...

I bet we can rustle up some players for this

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

P.S. I have a bunch of post-apocalyptic photos on a Google drive somewhere thanks to a Fate game that fizzled--Mask of Winter, Raz_Kabooz, and a couple others created a Fate campaign a couple years back (fun experiment) but didn't get deeply into play. Still, there are some very trippy-cool images from cosplay people into the post-apocalyptic scene.

I'd love to try Apocalypse World itself -- Mad Max is great (which is the best movie? Thread drift...). Blades in the Dark also looks wicked cool. And City of Mist is gorgeous (but I'm not sure how much it uses vs alters PbtA?).

That said, beggars can't be choosers. I'm mostly hoping to try out PbtA rules since they seem to be great for sandbox play... this is a Holy Grail, a white whale of sorts, for RPG design...

I bet we can rustle up some players for this
    The Road Warrior is, of course, the best film.

While it technically has the PBtA label, I consider Blades in the Dark a different system. It uses (generally small) dice pools with situational and outcome descriptors as its main mechanic. I've never played it personally, but have seen/heard it played, and it is wicked cool. I've not looked at much more than the synopsis for City of Mist so I can't really comment on that one.

I am most familiar with Dungeon World and it would take the least amount of work on my part to get a one-shot up and running. That said, I would definitely be willing to do Apocalypse World instead (or in addition to if we want). Something to be aware of, AW is a lot heavier with the adult themes as a default--it's even got game mechanic effects for when characters hook up--though it's easy to just not use things people aren't comfortable with.

I guess now what there is to do is pick a system and a time that works for us.

Good to know that Blades in the Dark is so different.

If you're willing to do Apocalypse World, all this Mad Max puts me in that frame of mind. For time, I'm Eastern Time Zone--could a Fri or Sat evening work?
    The Road Warrior is, of course, the best film.
    True but the low-budget tension in the original, and the setting (the main character) in Fury Road make it a tough call sometimes....

For time, I'm Eastern Time Zone--could a Fri or Sat evening work?
    Indeed it could; either or both. I'm Central and most Fri & Sat evenings are workable.

If it works for everyone, we could do a "2-shot" where Friday would be an actual Session 1 as designed in the rules. It's character creation, relationship establishment, a-day-in-the-life to begin to establish the environment, etc. Then I would build some threats based on that info for session 2 the next night.

If people aren't interested in that, I have something that I use for creating Dungeon World 1-shots that I could probably massage to work for AW. The group chooses from some options to create where they are and what they're doing. Based on that I take a few minutes to make some notes and away we go by the seat of our pants.

Option A would provide a more accurate, rounded experience of the game at the expense of time. Option B would highlight more of the play mechanics while sacrificing character depth for the benefit of less time investment.

True but the low-budget tension in the original, and the setting (the main character) in Fury Road make it a tough call sometimes....
    I'll drop what I'm doing and watch any of them when they're on (even Thunderdome).

Blog Entries
    If people aren't interested in that, I have something that I use for creating Dungeon World 1-shots that I could probably massage to work for AW. The group chooses from some options to create where they are and what they're doing. Based on that I take a few minutes to make some notes and away we go by the seat of our pants.
    This is what I usually do when running Dungeon World one shots.

Option A would be fun to try for the full experience of consecutive Saturdays could be found.

Thread Information