DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Fronts for games "Powered By The Apocalypse"

Several of the games based on the Apocalypse World rules use the concept of Fronts. These are individuals, groups, or organizations that have a plan to fulfill their goals/motivations. PCs can interrupt or thwart these plans at any given step. Often the plans change as the game evolves.

For those of you playing the PBTA games that use this, how are you tracking the state of Fronts?
    Is there an extension that I'm not aware of that does this already?
    Is there something out there that I could use as a base to perhaps develop into something that would fulfill this?

I started a Spirit of 77 game last night and, overall, it went well. I resorted to pen & paper to track the states of the Fronts because I didn't see an easy way of doing this in FG.
    Ideas?

Blog Entries
    I would look to DOE: Organizations. I doubt it specifically has "Fronts" but probably can be used for what you want.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    If you are doing PbtA version of Spirit then you are probably using MoreCore. It has a basic Organisations and Locations but I dont think they are useful for Fronts.
    How are you tracking them on Paper and how do you think that FG could/should do it?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    If you are doing PbtA version of Spirit then you are probably using MoreCore. It has a basic Organisations and Locations but I dont think they are useful for Fronts.
    How are you tracking them on Paper and how do you think that FG could/should do it?
    We are using MoreCore and it's working great. The Organizations would work pretty well for holding the info about each front.

On paper, I just had check boxes for each step of the Front. So77 always has 6 steps, P-N-L-D1-D2-O, but I know other games that use this can have different numbers of steps for each.

If FG had some sort of counter/timer system where you could give each counter a name and how many ticks/levels it has, it could be used for just about any system that uses that kind of mechanic. As far as UI goes, I could see anything from check boxes similar to 5e's ammo tracking to a numerical counter that can be increased. Having the counter link back to the Organization record would be desirable as well.

Could you post a screenshot/photo/image of what you currently use or would like to use?
    I'll see if I can mock something up.

Here's kind of what I've been thinking. The pic shows just a story entry with the Front (not copyrighted 'cept by me) on the left. The right shows what I'm envisioning the counter as. The circles would be clickable similar to ammo in 5e. Counter Max dictates how many circles there are. Under that is just a formatted text box to be able to throw a link or other text to have handy. Ideally, I'd like to be able to shrink the window down as small as shown so only the name and counter states show.

I'm planning to post my character sheet and rolls when I get things polished up a bit more and figure out where things make the most sense. I'm also working on a theme but that's not moving along as quickly.

Counters.jpg

Blog Entries
    Hi wndrngdru - that looks great - and the Brigade look like a very likely looking crew!
    I dont think that I am going to build anything that detailed into MoreCore at this time.
    The Dungeon World ruleset will have something similar and I will relook at it then.

The Dungeon World ruleset will have something similar....
    *gasp* I didn't know there was one in the works. More info somewhere?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    *gasp* I didn't know there was one in the works. More info somewhere?
    No more info. Its a little way off yet.

Thread Information