DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 18 First ... 3456715 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by st4lk3r87 View Post
    Unfortunately I've never been in a situation where different PC has a different modifier on a Skill Check which is asked to the entire group. So It's definitely possible I'm not aware of that use case.

In that case the user is telling to the DM "I'm using the Inspiration point". So it's not something the DM knows in advance. The RFI is meant to be used to enhance communication from DM to Player and remove useless pause.

I have some idea in mind anyway. For Example:
    Every time the player receives a "Time To Roll!", and inspiration points are available, the player is able to consume them directly from the "Time to Roll!" window. It's up to the player to decide so it's an action that should be done on the "Time to Roll" window.

I love the input I'm getting from all of you! Thank you so much!

These were just thoughts anyway. You make a good point that group checks probably don't need such a level of customization. Anyone can use the included modifier area of FG for any individual bonuses. FG also has effects that can be added to players which will also (probably) cause any individual bonuses to trigger. So this is not all that important.

The only issue I am having is the script error I get when loading the extension. So far, I have not seen any problems from it.. Just the message box that pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzar View Post
    These were just thoughts anyway. You make a good point that group checks probably don't need such a level of customization. Anyone can use the included modifier area of FG for any individual bonuses. FG also has effects that can be added to players which will also (probably) cause any individual bonuses to trigger. So this is not all that important.

The only issue I am having is the script error I get when loading the extension. So far, I have not seen any problems from it.. Just the message box that pops up.
    Hey Mazzar, I just uploaded a new version with a smal fix. Now you shouldn't get that script error anymore

Just downloaded it.

I have some new players, and this will make it easy until they can get use to bouncing around on multiple tabs. This really helps with speeding up combat and the like. As for the stigmata of making it easier for players to not pay attention. I would disagree. A single click verses double click or drag and drop, is not a significant investment of concentration. With this click to roll, you are guaranteeing the player is going to see that button without excuse. This does free up the players to keep their character sheets on the spot where they are, set for the next spell, next weapon attack, next skill set they want to do.
    If at all, this is a streamlining to help navigate more concentration on roleplay, on the next attack, on the listening with the minimal click to roll. If I had a player that is paying less attention because they can click through and phone in a roll, then it is not the extension I should be worrying about. This would not increase, but only emphasis a player would not paying attention. I would only worry about the conversation I need to have with that player or the potential replacement.
    its only one button press, instead of two, and reduces time to flip to the correct tabs.

I assume you can easily put a /command in the shortcuts to bring this up.

Improvement Idea:
    Can you add somewhere that you can save and name a preset. This preset will create custom button or /command that is stored and of course noted in the extension. You can then move the /command into a short cut key. So if you find you must make everyone roll initiative (like we do every darn game). Tap a the shortcut key for the preset you made. NOW.... you not only have the quick speed that the players can press a button, the DM presses a single button. The program runs, selects all the players, selects the required roll, sends out the request and brings up the windows....ect...ect...

NOTE: I would limit this Preset/shortcut Idea to work with presents that target "ALL players" only. This would prevent a problem if there is a change in players, this making the shortcut useless or bug out.

(I noted earlier someone was mentioning that it takes longer for the DM to bring this up then the players to make the roll, This preset/shortcut addition would streamline both.)
    Later on you might be able to make the preset/shortcut editable. but I figure you could just as easily delete and resave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassaroth View Post
    Just downloaded it.

I have some new players, and this will make it easy until they can get use to bouncing around on multiple tabs. This really helps with speeding up combat and the like. As for the stigmata of making it easier for players to not pay attention. I would disagree. A single click verses double click or drag and drop, is not a significant investment of concentration. With this click to roll, you are guaranteeing the player is going to see that button without excuse. This does free up the players to keep their character sheets on the spot where they are, set for the next spell, next weapon attack, next skill set they want to do.
    If at all, this is a streamlining to help navigate more concentration on roleplay, on the next attack, on the listening with the minimal click to roll. If I had a player that is paying less attention because they can click through and phone in a roll, then it is not the extension I should be worrying about. This would not increase, but only emphasis a player would not paying attention. I would only worry about the conversation I need to have with that player or the potential replacement.
    its only one button press, instead of two, and reduces time to flip to the correct tabs.

I assume you can easily put a /command in the shortcuts to bring this up.

Improvement Idea:
    Can you add somewhere that you can save and name a preset. This preset will create custom button or /command that is stored and of course noted in the extension. You can then move the /command into a short cut key. So if you find you must make everyone roll initiative (like we do every darn game). Tap a the shortcut key for the preset you made. NOW.... you not only have the quick speed that the players can press a button, the DM presses a single button. The program runs, selects all the players, selects the required roll, sends out the request and brings up the windows....ect...ect...

NOTE: I would limit this Preset/shortcut Idea to work with presents that target "ALL players" only. This would prevent a problem if there is a change in players, this making the shortcut useless or bug out.

(I noted earlier someone was mentioning that it takes longer for the DM to bring this up then the players to make the roll, This preset/shortcut addition would streamline both.)
    Later on you might be able to make the preset/shortcut editable. but I figure you could just as easily delete and resave them.
    Yes, I thought about shortcut too. As soon as I have time to improve it I'll start workiing on it
    Thank you very much, the improvement idea is very good.

No problem! Oh, one just thing that would make this even better, ans super easy to do (I hope).

This idea I pulled out of my ...err "hat" just now, should be easier and faster to complete first.

In the Extras, where you keep the initiative and death rolls:

Can you make a READY CHECK button? (I see an empty space to the right of Death save.) For instance, if a player or DM has to step away for a reason (like a bio) and the DM gives everyone a break. He can slap up a Ready Check window for all players and him/herself. It places the character portrait with "Ready? X" by it. For the DM it just places an extra one that has "DM" in place of the portrait. When the players or DM click on the pop up they get, it will toggle the X to a checkmark. But the pop up window they get will not go away. This is so they can still toggled the choice in the case a player or DM has to change their mind.... (not like a bio has ever forced me to do that....)

Then the DM just hits CONTINUE on his/her end, and removes the ready check. The game advances.

I hope that idea helps too. Okay, I am done making you work. Ha. Thank you for all the effort.

Actually that would be a good extra feature.

If you need a Ready check functionality you can find one on the forum.

Actually I got inspiration from that extension to create RFI.

cool. I think I found it! Thank you.

It still wouldn't be a bad button to have. Thank you for pointing that other extension out. If you do make it on your RFI, let me know so I can redownload.

Blog Entries
    I think this extension is pretty awesome but have you considered the fact that you are making things too easy for your players? They really don't have any incentive to learn how to use FG if they just get a popup window to click on. I want to reiterate that I am very impressed with the coding of this but I feel like players, especially new ones, need to go through that learning curve and get comfortable with using the software. Other than that I applaud your work!

*Additional*

After posting this I considered that everyone can choose if they want to use this or not. I was just taking a "Devil's Advocate" question considering how this would effect players.
    Last edited by Skillkoil; September 11th, 2018 at 18:07.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Quote Originally Posted by Skillkoil View Post
    I think this extension is pretty awesome but have you considered the fact that you are making things too easy for your players? They really don't have any incentive to learn how to use FG if they just get a popup window to click on. I want to reiterate that I am very impressed with the coding of this but I feel like players, especially new ones, need to go through that learning curve and get comfortable with using the software. Other than that I applaud your work!

*Additional*

After posting this I considered that everyone can choose if they want to use this or not. I was just taking a "Devil's Advocate" question considering how this would effect players.
    I thought this as well. But I also considered that there is many things in FG and on the sheet that the player still needs to do. Weapons, spell, the damages and the like to each and every effect that those are.

With each one of those, the manual step is to locate, double click, or drag drop as needed into the area that is required. This only eliminates a very small fraction on very similar a cognitive and repetitive learning.

And for new players, when you are creating the character sheet, this is a perfect time to show them how that works with the options this replaces. But other interactions will still mimic the same functions constantly. The DM is not going to be able to roll your specialized class abilities, which will use the exact same methods as the saves, ability checks, etc. Nor will this replace any of the same saves and the like that will have a special modifiers that are not affecting the player. (DM discretional environmentals, temporary modifiers and the like). so there is occurrences that will still have the players roll certain saves.

It comes down to this.

It is a tool. One that can be picked up, put down, used and bypassed. It can be temporarily withheld to teach, and aggressively used to expedite a lengthy scenario. It does not replace, nor demand to be used even when loaded. When it comes down to it the main fear of lazy or untaught players are "with if" scenarios that are speculative. Granted they are valid, but not necessarily, with weight.

Can it make rolls go faster for the areas it covers: yes
    Can you choose to use it or not even if loaded: Yes
    Does it replace all rolling of similar design: no
    Does it eliminate a step in scanning the character sheet: partially.
    Does it affect combat, roleplaying, and skills: Yes
    Are you required to forgo a standard check on the character sheet: no
    Can you choose to have new players roll normal (to teach the basics) and veteran players just click:yes

We are forgetting, the DM can pick and choose who gets the pop up. If you are worried the new people are not going to understand the character sheet...
    Then do not click on their character when you select the roll. Best of both worlds. The vets can click and move on. The new player gets the teaching and the learning curve that is needed for us all. The results are still going to the chat channel as they normally would and incorporated as normal. So any player can click or roll. (even if they get the pop up.) Which....

You may want to have a cancel button or someway to remove the popup or remove them from the request. in the case someone rolls, instead of clicking.

Blog Entries
    Well put Sassaroth. You laid out a very reasoned and well thought out argument on the issue, which I appreciate. In fact, you have swayed my opinion. (I know this never happens on the internet) Thanks for taking the time to make that post.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Thread Information