5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Magic Item Doing additional damage on a to hit roll of 18+

Hi Folks,
    I was wondering if there was a way to set up a low powered magic item (hand axe) which, upon rolling a successful hit on an 18 or higher on the to hit roll, does an addition 1d4 lightning damage. Is this possible? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The easiest way would be to create an effect DMG: 1d8 with a target of self (if I recall correctly), then apply the effect to the character then roll the damage.

Not specifically no. You can alter the crit range in the weapon meta data or add a property to the weapon so that it crits on an 18. you can also add in extra damage dice to the weapon meta data which get added on a crit.

However you cannot add damage only on an 18+. You would have to do that manually. So set an effect DMG: 1d4 lightning, set the targetting to Self and expend on next action. Apply the effect to the player just before damage gets rolled.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the responses folks! Damned - nice to hear from you. I think your way is probably the easiest. Is there a way to 'break out' the d4 being lightning while the 1d6 being magical/slashing? Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    Is there a way to 'break out' the d4 being lightning while the 1d6 being magical/slashing?
    See here, starting at step 12: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ating_a_weapon
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the responses folks! Damned - nice to hear from you. I think your way is probably the easiest. Is there a way to 'break out' the d4 being lightning while the 1d6 being magical/slashing? Thanks again!!
    Yes. Just add another damage line to the weapon in the actions tab. Click the magnifying glass beside the weapon line and then click the Edit list button beside the Damage header to add a new line.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

OK - I got that - thanks. My issue is that I can't figure out how to create this as part of a parcel. I can figure it out on the character sheet but is there anyway to actually create the item in a parcel? Or is it that I just need to add a second line to the character sheet as Damned suggested?

OK - I got that - thanks. My issue is that I can't figure out how to create this as part of a parcel. I can figure it out on the character sheet but is there anyway to actually create the item in a parcel? Or is it that I just need to add a second line to the character sheet as Damned suggested?
    Indeed. You can add additional damage types to an item. So you'll need to do this once the player has the weapon and has equipped it. You will then be able to create the necessary additional line in the actions tab.

OK - thanks Zacchaeus. So I'll need to wait until the player gets the weapon. That's what I kind of thought as I couldn't figure out how to do that to the actual item in the treasure parcel. Thanks for everyone's help!

Thread Information