DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth
    Eventually... it seems that I joined the community a tad late to sign up for the 2.0 beta, but I've gotten my hands on a beta ruleset from 2.0 which is quite different. Until 2.0 is actually released, we'll be focusing on 1.05 - at which time we'll probably run parallel projects for both versions.
    If you're looking for a challenge with a big upside to the community, while you're looking at the new 2.0 stuff, you might see if it's possible to figure out how to convert 1.05 rulesets to version 2.0 if possible.

IF there were a list of equivalent tags, a converter should just be a case of having an XML reader, some code in the middle doing some mapping, and an XML writer to create the converted file. From what I've seen so far, the trick is getting the list of tags. Documentation for extending the product is not extensive or comprehensive.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

You are correct in regards to documentation for the current version. However, if you look at the beta doc reference you can see for each control type the tags listed near the beginning before it goes into the available functions. It lists what each tag does for that control as well.

The documentation for FG2 is better, and has the content of each tag. What it doesn't have is where the tag is valid (i.e. where it fits in the overall structure), or the files where the tag can be used.

e.g. can I put a numbercontrol element directly under the root node, or does it have to be in a windowclass element?

Plus, the FG2 documentation seems to mix objects and XML elements liberally. A separate class API reference (with class diagram) and schema reference would be helpful.
    Last edited by Valarian; March 28th, 2007 at 15:21.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

A converter will definately be on the cards. It wont be as simple as mapping XML between versions as the FG2 rulesets are a lot more complex and the 'structure' of the physical files is a little different.

The reason why the FG2 documentation seems to mix objects and xml is that the XML is a representation of objects within the app. With their standardisation to have proper XML complient files, it would be easy to serialize the objects from the xml.

An API would be a huge help to developing tools, but that API would probably constitute most of the internal workings of FG, so Im not sure if that will ever happen.

Thread Information