DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Better ways to find a group

Is there a better way to find a group to play?? That is the biggest issue I have found over the years with FG. It is a diffcult to find and gel with a group of players and a DM. Someone has to have thought of a better way to match the people looking for a group. Everthing I have seen so far in regards to the LFG or the FG calendar just isnt working it is very hit and miss.
    Ultimate License-Always looking for a game to play
    DCI: 1318637470
    PFS # 263766
    D&D 5E
    D&D 3E
    Pathfinder

Ultimately you're shopping around for a GM and group that you gel with. It's a little bit like Internet dating - you may be super lucky and hit gold the first time, or you may have to go through a bunch of groups before you get the right mix of folks that you enjoy playing with, and they enjoy playing with you - and hope that it lasts. It's really hit and miss. The only advice I can give is to keep trying, get out there - play one-offs even if you're not interested in the system, the key is to make friends and try to suss out who plays in the same style you like and who you feel comfortable playing with. Then invite people you enjoy playing with to form a group.

FG Con is upcoming in October (that remind me, we need to get the publicity for that going...) - I know that's a way off, but it's a great way to meet like minded gamers and hopefully seed the beginnings of a cool group...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I'll second that. Play in one-shots. The more people you play with, the bigger your network. I'd also suggest you try to DM. Even if it's not something you want to do all that often, run one-shots at FG Con & FG Daze and other events too.

Another idea, get involved with FG College. It's a pretty big and active community on its own, and I imagine that it's a great place to make friends and grow your gaming network.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I'll second that. Play in one-shots. The more people you play with, the bigger your network. I'd also suggest you try to DM. Even if it's not something you want to do all that often, run one-shots at FG Con & FG Daze and other events too.

Another idea, get involved with FG College. It's a pretty big and active community on its own, and I imagine that it's a great place to make friends and grow your gaming network.
    And I'll second that. In fact, there are a number of Discord-based VTT or FG focused communities that you should check out. In my (albeit limited) experience, the caliber of DMs and players is better than the average pairings found in the forums here. I suspect this is because people of all walks come here first and then those who tend to be more serious will join the Discord communities.

The other thing you can do is expand your horizons a bit - I know *everyone* wants to play 5E at the moment, but there *are* other RPGs out there and they *are* being played on FG. As an example, I'm running two non-5E games at the moment; one is a Deadlands Classic game and the other is a Star Frontiers Alpha Hawks game. While I had no trouble finding players I certainly wasn't swamped with people who wanted to play - the two groups we've got (and yes, there is some overlap) are really good and everyone tells me they are thoroughly enjoying each game and the plots therein.

My point is if you are willing to try new RPG systems you'll expand your pool of potential games, groups and GMs.

Just my $0.02 worth

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    This is the one that ,most people dont want too hear - but when you cannot find a group to play in - be the GM.
    There are lots of options - run a one shot or mini campaign.
    You might really like it.
    You can also put it to the prospective players - everyone takes a turn at GM.
    It doesnt matter whether you run a one shot or a short campaign or something longer AND you can run the ruleset/system of your choice - but you gotta take a turn.
    You will have attrition. You will have players that drop after session 1 or 2 or 3 or right when its their turn to GM.
    Thats life in the internet.
    Over time you will build a good group of people to play with.

I have thought about trying to DM and running a few "test" sessions wouldnt be a bad idea. if i pick it up, I could run a few campaigns during FG-Con - I need to get over to FGC to see if those guys can help
    Ultimate License-Always looking for a game to play
    DCI: 1318637470
    PFS # 263766
    D&D 5E
    D&D 3E
    Pathfinder

All in all, don't limit yourself to Dungeon & Dragons.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    I think you play whatever game you like, you can and will find players who like the game you do. No matter how obscure it might be. Also the FG Discord server and FGC Discord server are great places to look for games and find people who are like minded. One thing that I always do as a GM and I don't see many groups do is have a meeting before your first session. Find out what the GM expects from the players and find out what the players expect from the GM. Discuss what each person in the group enjoys most about Role Playing and what aspects of the game you are playing they find the most fun. Doing just that small thing can make your game 100% better. This way everyone knows what kind of game they are getting into. They know what everyone is expecting.

Hope that helps!

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Besides the comments that were placed earlier, which were spot on, I still agree with OP.

I prefer FG's over anything, but a more "refreshed" hub on the FG forum would be enough.
    The calendar is a hit or miss, mainly because it is overrun with old games or from DM's or players that are not replying. If this gets cleaned up, we have a fresh start for players and gm's to look for additional games.

Heck, I have FG for over 1.5 year and I didnt even knew of the existence of the calendar. My main source of games for fantasy ground is a west march campaign that I found by discord and not even through FG's forums. More players through the forums is more traffic, which results in more games. Only reason why I started roll20 every now and then was purely for the LFG panel.

The components are already here, but we just need to update and clean them up.
    Cleaning up and making it more visible would already do the trick.
    Last edited by Stuggesjoerd; September 28th, 2018 at 08:28.

Thread Information