5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

Friday is bad for me I run a game from 8PM to 1AM and couldn't play, Sunday the 18th would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by heliopolix
    Also, are you going to start an out-of-game thread for the campaign? Since you requested a balanced party, I think it best to know what everyone is planning on bringing to the table, so that there is less of a chance that we have a garing , easily exploitable weakness .
    Like heliopolix, I am willing to play any of the four "core" classes: Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard to round out the well balanced party. I also wouldn't mind playing a Duskblade though I'm not sure that would balance in as well or a Beguiler as a Rogue substitute.
    Last edited by Griogre; June 9th, 2006 at 10:00.

I have to say I'm interested in seeing both Duskblade and Beguilers in play. They both seem to me to be over the general power curve, but I know a lot of classes can seem that way and not live up to those expectations. I'm definately not saying that I NEED to see those played here, just general discussion about them.
    Along the lines of PHB2, what is up with Dragon Shaman? The class doesn't seem to have a real roll and the abilities seem to be cobbled together from Marshal, Paladin, and random locations to make a class that I didn't think made much sense. Don't know if that is just me.
    I'm good with playing most anything, though I do have a lot of different ideas for specific character types. I have a 2 weapon fighter that I'm wanting to try out. =D
    Llarish

I'm playing a Human Rogue.

Since we're starting at level 11, I'm going to assume that we use a 32 point-buy system. Let me know if this isn't good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Llarish
    I have to say I'm interested in seeing both Duskblade and Beguilers in play. They both seem to me to be over the general power curve, but I know a lot of classes can seem that way and not live up to those expectations. I'm definately not saying that I NEED to see those played here, just general discussion about them.
    The Dusk Blade "seems" better balanced than the Beguiler with his very limited selection of spells, but the balance is hard to judge until you see a character actually in play. Which seems to make a short campaign at a decent level a perfect place to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Llarish
    Along the lines of PHB2, what is up with Dragon Shaman? The class doesn't seem to have a real roll and the abilities seem to be cobbled together from Marshal, Paladin, and random locations to make a class that I didn't think made much sense. Don't know if that is just me.
    I agree, the Dragon Shaman has no redeeming features I can see. Just another is a long series of "gee I'm part Dragon or have some dragon abilities - doesn't that make me cool?". No wonder the Dragons are dying out. They aparently don't breed with anything other than non dragons and have to compete with characters who have all their "special" abilities. I was so bored with the concept, I barely skimmed the class. The other three classes are at least valid concepts. I would allow them trial runs in my own game, though I think I would restrict Duskblades to elves and half elves.
    Last edited by Griogre; June 9th, 2006 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatNineSharpFive
    I'm playing a Human Rogue.

Since we're starting at level 11, I'm going to assume that we use a 32 point-buy system. Let me know if this isn't good for you.
    I find it mildly disquieting there haven't been given any guidelines for character generation. Hopefully Tambryn is just busy.

32 point buy is correct.

Hit Points are max for first level. And max for each level thereafter as dictated by the class Hit Die.(This does not confer an advantage to you as players as I use the same rules for your opponents)

Each will have 60,000 gold for item purchase or saving. The city of Istivin has a 25,000 gold peice limit, it is the largest metroploitan center in the vicinity.

Feel free to play any class, I only ask that we make an effort to fill the four archetypal roles as best we can. Meatshield, Sneaker, Healer, Spell Slinger. The core classes are not required to fill these roles, as an example, the group could be a Knight, Scout, Healer and Warlock or any other variation. Then again, if the roles are not filled, if everyone plays a fighter, we will still going to venture into the night.

I also have no problem with this thread acting as an out of character thread, or any discussions can be held at in the game calender.

At this moment it looks we will start on Sunday the 18th. I hate that that might alienate anyone, but I have to cater to the needs of the many and at this moment, sunday looks to be the best starting date. If I am incorrect let me me know and I will adjust fire.

So far, everyone we have who is able to start sunday is:

Llarish
    Heliopolix
    Griorge
    Llarish's wife

And if the game changes start date, we also have:
    Flat9Sharp5

We also have room for at least one more interested player.

Tam

I guess I'll start the character picking thing. Sorry Flat9Sharp5 can't make it. I suggest we post what characters we like to get things going because I haven't seen any real definate choices amoung those who can play and we seem to be in that inital -

"What do *you* want to play?"
    "Don't know, what to *you* want to play?"
    stage.

In mild priority order for me:

Beguiler - This is a rogue & mage/sorcerer hybrid class out of the PH2. I am proposing the class as a rogue substitue. It does have Disable Device and so really can deal with traps. It can sneak. It's spell list are pretty much made of enchantment and illusion spells, so like a rogue is weak vs undead and constructs. It does not have a sneak attack so will be weaker than a rogue vs things with SR.

Wizard - probably a vanilla evocer, offensive spell slinger.

Fighter - hand to hand type.

Cleric of Thor: Lightning & Good Domains.

Paladin of Torm

I would happily play any of these. The beguiler is a curisosity pick and I would defer to anyone who really wants to play a rogue type. I wouldn't mind playing a Duskblade either but I don't really like the class in a more or less iconic four man party. He seems like the Bard, more an ideal "fifth man".
    Last edited by Griogre; June 11th, 2006 at 05:42.

Hehe, yeah. After a while the "you first, kind sir!" and "no, no, I must insist, you take the honor of first choice!", we'd never get anywhere. I've made up a monk. His fighting style caters well towards a handful of foes, but more than that would probably overwhelm him. If we do have a rogue around, he can certainly expect to have a generous amount of stunned foes about to work his craft on. Whether it be stickin' in the kidney with daggers, or wasting with crossbow. I also intend to use my 60 ft punch to hamper and dismay the hide-in-the-back caster types. While I would definitely be hard pressed to fulfill the role of the main fighter, I can definitely hold a flank.

Hopefully we can get the last one or two people so we can be iconic+2.

Since we will have six people, perhaps we can end up with something like this:

Main Fighter
    Support Fighter
    Stealthy Support / Scout
    Utility Caster
    Artillery Caster
    Healing Caster

As a last observation, it looks like everyone's very flexible in what they are willing to play, which means we are unlikely to step on someones toes if we pick a character to play and declare it. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else brings to the table.

Later,
    heliopolix

Thread Information