5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

New Fantasy Grounds GM Tech Questions

Hey all! So I'm going to be running a game for the first time with Fantasy Grounds shortly here. I've been just playing around with the Demo mode trying to get the hang of it until my next paycheck. Just a couple of questions thus far.

1) Is there a way to load up your own custom map or a image of one? Failing that is there a way to draw your own in Fantasy Grounds?

2) (This one is more system specific) When using the Fate module is there a way to get the system to automatically roll defense and factor stress like it can for 5e attacks and damage?
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”- Thorin Oakenshield, J.R.R. Tolkien

Welcome to the forums.

For #1 see the first section of the Images page in the FG user guide in the Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks! That link was super helpful. Any idea if it's possible to save something you draw on an image? Or would you be better off making a image in paint and saving it that way?
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”- Thorin Oakenshield, J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by volt875 View Post
    Thanks! That link was super helpful. Any idea if it's possible to save something you draw on an image? Or would you be better off making a image in paint and saving it that way?
    Unless all you want to draw on an existing image is pen lines I'd go with the second method.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Except dont use paint! use something with a few more features!
    This! Gimp is free. It's powerful enough for anyone but professional designers (and even some of them prob use it). It does have a learning curve, but once you can use it, your maps can become amazing.

Even if you just draw lines on a plain background, it'll be easier to use, if you figure out how to use the grid and snapping feature.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Quote Originally Posted by volt875 View Post
    Lines drawn on an image are stored in the campaign folder, under drawings.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    This! Gimp is free. It's powerful enough for anyone but professional designers (and even some of them prob use it). It does have a learning curve, but once you can use it, your maps can become amazing.

Even if you just draw lines on a plain background, it'll be easier to use, if you figure out how to use the grid and snapping feature.
    Thanks, I had no idea Gimp existed. Downloading it now.

Blog Entries
    See this for more software for mapping; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ftware-summary

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I love GiMP but it is not something that is super quick to just jump into.
    Paint.net is an easier generic paint tool.
    Plus there are all the map builders which are fantastic and can really make things easier for you.

Thread Information