5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Lost my whole module and data

I have been working converting a rulebook to FG for 3 weeks now and literally finished it tonight! Went for a smoke and came back to a frozen FG to which I had to close via task manager. I reboot, and FG pops up saying there is an error loading the previous data and it will restore from a backup. Well I am very sad but this is the way things have been going for me, but I lost ALL my data. All my folder structures are gone, all the data I entered that were, spells, items, feats, etc. all gone! All thats left are the images!

I'm sad. Is there anything I can do? I had been very diligent of saving my work but this is just bad!

Blog Entries
    Yes, their will be multiple files in your campaign folder titled something like; "db.session.<timedate>.xml"

- Exit FG
    - in your campaign folder, rename db.xml to db.orig.xml
    - copy your latest db.session file that is large in size to db.xml

Start FG, open your campaign and see.

Don't overwrite the various files, always copy so you keep the originals. Find the one with the most/latest/best info.

Don't forget to make sure you are backing up your computer on a regular basis.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yes, their will be multiple files in your campaign folder titled something like; "db.session.<timedate>.xml"

- Exit FG
    - in your campaign folder, rename db.xml to db.orig.xml
    - copy your latest db.session file that is large in size to db.xml

Start FG, open your campaign and see.

Don't overwrite the various files, always copy so you keep the originals. Find the one with the most/latest/best info.

Don't forget to make sure you are backing up your computer on a regular basis.
    OK I renamed the db.xml to rb.orig.xml and then opened the largest db.session file and hit ctrl+a and then copied all that and went into the orig file and pasted it all in there and restarted FG. Didnt work. Did I do this correctly?

I also have an automated backup of this project but I wanted to see if the files I was working on today can be recovered somehow. They are completed and the last backup I have is from 10 hours ago.

Blog Entries
    No, don't copy the text, copy the entire db.session file, then rename the copy of the file to db.xml

Automated backup? Does that backup run while you are in FG? If so, that may be your problem as if the file is in use when copying it can become corrupt.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

No, don't copy the text, copy the entire db.session file, then rename the copy of the file to db.xml

Automated backup? Does that backup run while you are in FG? If so, that may be your problem as if the file is in use when copying it can become corrupt.
    Let me retry this...

As for the backup, no I have one that runs every 48 hours so that if I have an error I see I have time to grab it. I did ALOT of work on this today and finished it.

Ok it worked. I lost all the data up to a point from last night. So I lost today which is better than the whole thing! Thanks for the help. If you dont mind. For future reference, and because I want to know, can you tell me more about these backup db.xml files and how they can save my rear end in the future? What did I do wrong to protect my work? I was typing /save in the chat box and getting the "campaign saved" confirmation. Don't know what else to do. And I have a backup going to a hard disk and cloud drive.

A single db.session.###.xml file is generated each day when you open the campaign for the first time that day. It performs a full copy of the current db.xml file on disk.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    The /save only saves to the current db.xml file.

So, somehow that got corrupted during the day. The most common cause of that is cloud/sync/backup applications accessing the file while FG is running. Another possibility is opening a second instance of FG and opening the same campaign as host/GM (Not sure if FG will let you do this, but I would expect it to cause corruption). I'm sure other things are possible as a way to cause corruption, but would just be wild speculation

Blog Entries
    The /save only saves to the current db.xml file.

So, somehow that got corrupted during the day. The most common cause of that is cloud/sync/backup applications accessing the file while FG is running. Another possibility is opening a second instance of FG and opening the same campaign as host/GM (Not sure if FG will let you do this, but I would expect it to cause corruption). I'm sure other things are possible as a way to cause corruption, but would just be wild speculation
    FG does let you do it and it does corrupt the DB.
    I do it all the time!

Thread Information