Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Played with FG for the first time (5e module) and some questions

I ran a session with Fantasy Grounds for the first time this weekend and it looks like the pros of the software will outweigh the cons. I did run into some issues though.

I see the wiki for the module and will read through but is there any other documentation available for bot FG and the 5e module specifically?

If I screw up drawing revealing sections of a map can I re-apply fog of war?

If I'm running combat and the players want to drag an attack onto an opponent, how do you apply modifiers for that specific roll?

I have an Ultimate license and the PHB and Lost Mines. When looking at portraits for a character sheet I have a number of bags available, including a 5e bag. My players do not have that as an option. They have the PHB loaded, and how can I tell which content I have available comes from what source so I can debug issues like that in the future?

Blog Entries
    welcome jgerman

check out Zacchaeus videos - he has a lot of really good info especially on 5e.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zacchaeus55/videos

try ctrl, shift and alt with the unmasking
    you can also use combinations of..

you can always type a number in the modifier window and it will apply to your next roll
    same goes for players

open a second instance of Fantasy Grounds and Join Game - use a different username and connect to the server/host called localhost and you will see what you players see on this window
    everyone can only access portraits that are on their computer - you can add portraits to the PCs if you have one they want

if the players add their own portraits have them resize the image first - crop it square and keep it less than 500x500px

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    open a second instance of Fantasy Grounds and Join Game - use a different username and connect to the server/host called localhost and you will see what you players see on this window
    everyone can only access portraits that are on their computer - you can add portraits to the PCs if you have one they want

if the players add their own portraits have them resize the image first - crop it square and keep it less than 500x500px
    Cool thanks!, I'll try out the other tips (and watch the videos).

As far as the portraits are concerned: I was under the impression that when I shared my content my players had it available while connected to the session. Is that not true in the case of portraits?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerman View Post
    Cool thanks!, I'll try out the other tips (and watch the videos).

As far as the portraits are concerned: I was under the impression that when I shared my content my players had it available while connected to the session. Is that not true in the case of portraits?
    That isnt the case with portraits
    it was an early design decision that in hindsight wasnt the best one but it requires a bit of work to unpick and it has not risen to the top of the teams to do list - its a bit complex and has only a small impact

please also do not share any adventure modules or your players will be able to see everything...
    only share the PHB

If I screw up drawing revealing sections of a map can I re-apply fog of war?
    Hold down the CTRL Key whilst you draw will redo a rectangular area of the fog of war. Hold down CTRL+SHIFT to draw a freehand area of the FoW

If I'm running combat and the players want to drag an attack onto an opponent, how do you apply modifiers for that specific roll?
    What kind of modifiers did you have in mind? Most modifiers to rolls in 5e would be dealt with by effects, or by using the Modifiers dialog.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Welcome to the forums!

You can find further info in the FG Wiki on some of the questions you ask.

Masking: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Images#Masking

Base Modifiers: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Modifier_Stack

Plus effects: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/5E_Effects
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    That isnt the case with portraits
    it was an early design decision that in hindsight wasnt the best one but it requires a bit of work to unpick and it has not risen to the top of the teams to do list - its a bit complex and has only a small impact

please also do not share any adventure modules or your players will be able to see everything...
    only share the PHB
    I better double check I haven't shared the module!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Hold down the CTRL Key whilst you draw will redo a rectangular area of the fog of war. Hold down CTRL+SHIFT to draw a freehand area of the FoW

What kind of modifiers did you have in mind? Most modifiers to rolls in 5e would be dealt with by effects, or by using the Modifiers dialog.
    I think I'm missing out on basic stuff that I should know, I see several posts now with links that I should probably be reading. I didn't know how to "give" a player advantage on a roll. I'm sure it's there, I just didn't prepare very well.

Well as with any software, there is a learning curve with FG; the more you use it, the better you will get with it
    Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made me hopelessly lost!

I didn't know how to "give" a player advantage on a roll. I'm sure it's there, I just didn't prepare very well.
    You could apply an effect to the PC in the combat tracker (CT), but this can be a lot of work if it is just for one roll. Effects are more to track ongoing abilities and situational effects. If it's only for one roll, you can ask the player to press the ADV button on the desktop (below the chat window) before making a roll. Other than effects, you (as the GM) can't impact modifiers, ADV/DIS, etc. on a player's next roll - they need to do it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information