5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Troubleshooting Syrinscape

I decided to finally break into Syrinscape and try it out and wanted to see how the "3rd party api" worked.

I first started playing with the DOE: Base/Sounds extension in 5E with no other extentions. Followed the instructions that Gwydion did in his video but the sound wasn't playing.

Since then I've been trying to just get my browser to play the Syrinscape URI and it won't do that either. Should it? I can't seem to find definitive answer on that.

Trying to rule out Syrinscape as the problem before I get any deeper. I can click all the buttons and they work but can't seem to get it to play from something else.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Assuming you're running on Windows, try reinstalling Syrinscape. The URLs should work in a browser, as the URL should be registered in Windows registry to start Syrinscape. If this isn't working, then that registration may not have been successfully created.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Assuming you're running on Windows, try reinstalling Syrinscape. The URLs should work in a browser, as the URL should be registered in Windows registry to start Syrinscape. If this isn't working, then that registration may not have been successfully created.
    That was it, odd but happy it's working now Non-deterministic application install FTL.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Just did a quick search and saw this thread. I have the same problem but on a mac. Sounds play fine in Syrinscape. Cut and paste the URL in to FG or a browser and no joy. Safari says:Failed to open the specified address. Because MacOS doesn't recognise internet addresses starting with syrinscape-fantasy:

Tried it in Google chrome and it just googles the address rather than play. I appear to be registered and have logged out and back into Syrinscape successfully.

Here's the link created for the Force Missile. "syrinscape-fantasy:elements/YnVnYmVhci1iYXR0bGU6Om1hZ2ljLW1pc3NpbGUtYS1jb3B5/play/"

Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Check your Syrinscape version number - the 3PI functionality does not work in v1.3.7-201807xx (I can't remember the last couple f digits).

Syrinscape v1.3.7-20180815 does work correctly - and yes, I really don't think much of their versioning system - especially when the "rules" for Symantic Versioning are so well laid out (https://semver.org/)
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

I was using 1.3.3.-20160816 which is the previous Mac version to 1.3.7-2018730

Quote Originally Posted by spoonhead View Post
    I was using 1.3.3.-20160816 which is the previous Mac version to 1.3.7-2018730
    Sorry, are you using Syrinscape on a Mac? I seem to recall that the 3PI doesn't work on a Mac at all (this may have been fixed in the latest version, but I can't seem to locate anywhere where this is stated).
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

That might be the issue then, which is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Syrinscape v1.3.7-20180815 ... and yes, I really don't think much of their versioning system - especially when the "rules" for Symantic Versioning are so well laid out (https://semver.org/)
    I don't know, I think it's quite good. It's Semantic (note correct spelling!) versioning, with the addition of the date the produce was released, in this case 2018-08-15. So you get extra info, while keeping your desired semantic versioning. Best of both worlds if you ask me!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I don't know, I think it's quite good. It's Semantic (note correct spelling!) versioning, with the addition of the date the produce was released, in this case 2018-08-15. So you get extra info, while keeping your desired semantic versioning. Best of both worlds if you ask me!
    Spelling noted - I never could spell correctly

Unfortunately, the previous version was v1.3.7 as well - yes, it had a different date, but as there was a bug fix it should have been (at least) v1.3.8. Having two different version with the same version number is not "a good thing" - made only slightly "less bad" because the date was attached.

"Best practice" is to follow the Semantic Version 2.0.0 standard (as unofficial as it may be) - and then add the date afterward if desired (and as allowed for in the SemVer standard).

However, people are free to use whatever versioning system they like, and it doesn't really matter - except that more and more people and professional coding houses are beginning to follow the SemVer standard and so expect the numbering system to mean a certain (the same(?)) thing.

BUT no matter which system is used, having two different versions with the same number (ignoring the date) is "not a good thing".

Just my $0.02 worth

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10