5E Character Create Playlist

Urgent help in joining game

Good morning. I've been playing DND5e for a couple of years joining a GM's game each week or two. About four months ago, I began hosting my own game, having bought a full license. It works great, and most of the players who join my game are the same ones I play with as a player in our friend's game.

Here's the problem: For the past several sessions, when I've attempted to join my friends game, it takes me to a "downloading files" status that literally lasts for hours with only tiny movement on the progress bar. As a result, I've not been able to join the game at all, even though everyone is able to join my hosted game just fine on other nights.

This happened after I bought a new computer, which was at the same time I began hosting my other game as GM. On the other hand, the GM in the game I have tried to join, has stopped sharing nearly everything in order to make it easier to join. No significant help. He has also tried alternately between a direct wired connection and back to wireless. No help.

This is seriously messing up our sessions, so any help you can give in advance of tonight's sessions would be greatly appreciated.

Glorfindel

What security/anti-virus/anti-malware applications do you run on your computer? Try disabling these, as a test, before you start Fantasy Grounds to join your GMs game.

If you are using MalwareBytes, disable that completely - there is a known issue where this affects FGs connectivity.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that but as I don't use malware bytes and have tried jiggering anti virus protections before I am pessimistic that that will help. (Plus it works fine as a host ...)

Player connectivity is different to GM connectivity. So it is still worth trying.

Another question - Are you running your computer on a wired or wireless network connection?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It sounds like something between you and the GM is throttling the connection drastically.

Do you have any Internet filtering software, parental control software or real time web protection software installed? These will often block or attempt to interfere with certain connections. Also, check to make sure your router is not doing any filtering or parental control.

Regards,
    JPG

Also try nuking your player side cache before joining the next session. Click the nuke button in the top right corner of the "Join Game" screen.

Thread Information