5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I have run games in Fantasy Grounds where I've prepared each adventure as if in a published module. I've also run games where the preparation was a couple of sheets of A4 paper, and a few NPC stats entered into Fantasy Grounds for encounters. Both have been equally enjoyable for players and GM. The point being is that you don't have to prepare to the Nth degree to run a good game. Sometimes, having only a starting point and general direction, then allowing the game to go where the players take you, can be far more enjoyable than a game where every encounter is prepared weeks in advance.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Have you taken a look at Pathfinder? There's not much difference between D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder in terms of the game's rules, and Pathfinder on Fantasy Grounds enjoys a level of support from Paiso that WotC will never give to any version of D&D, ever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    Have you taken a look at Pathfinder? There's not much difference between D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder in terms of the game's rules, and Pathfinder on Fantasy Grounds enjoys a level of support from Paiso that WotC will never give to any version of D&D, ever.
    The first is a statement that could be fact and the second is a statement of opinion only.
    The Wizards licensed 5E to FG years before Paizo agreed to a license.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau_wolf View Post
    Done. It' s a good starting point to have all the magic items, the monsters etc., but I still need to use books to spare time

If you would add a DLC with all the missing tables I would buy it, for example
    Hi Pau_wolf this is an observation and a guess...
    If you were unaware of how to activate modules then you are probably unaware of how to use the tool effectively in many ways.
    You will need to spend time learning the tool to get value from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau_wolf View Post
    Preparing this software to play is very time consuming, it doesn't worth the pain to spare a few seconds of play

Is there a way to spare time? Maybe taking the NPC files, the treasure tables, the weather tables, the encounter tables from other sources who already prepared them? There should be something similar on the site. Or this software is much less useful than a paper handbook and a sheet of wordpad?

I talk Like that because I use fantasygrounds to play face to face... I'm not interested in playing online. I thought that this software could help me
    I appreciate your frustration, but it does seem that your expectation of how Fantasy Grounds could help you has not been researched in enough detail.
    1) The level of support of D&D 3.5E - which others have mentioned. There is only the 3.5E SRD data in FG as WotC has not licensed 3.5E for Fantasy Grounds.
    2) Fantasy Grounds is a VTT - i.e. primarily designed to run as a virtual table top. So, it's not specifically designed for face-to-face games. However, lots of people do use it for face-to-face games, with the understanding of what it can and can't do. In your case you're looking to use a small subset of FG functionality. And if all of the tables and automation that you're looking to save you a few seconds in play aren't available for you, and entering them takes too much time, then you're not saving time at all.
    3) This is linked to item 1 - how will FG save you time? If you already have tables, stats, etc. in your books and you need to enter them into FG to get them in FG, yes - how is this going to save you time? Data entry is never easy! But, have a look at the two extension at the end of this post - these might assist you with some data entry.

So, with this in mind, how can things be made better?

Look at what is available for other, better supported systems. There are lots of modules available for Pathfinder. Find the community made OGL modules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules Or look at the official Paizo products and other publisher 3.5E/Pathfinder products in the store. These can all be activated in the D&D 3.5E ruleset - just be aware of the slight differences between Pathfinder and D&D 3.5E. A free guide is available here: https://paizo.com/products/btpy89m6?...nversion-Guide

D&D 5E has a lot of products for it. the DMs Guild has many useful additions that may be of interest to you - look here: https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?..._0_0_0_45545_0 For some example tables, just do a search on Virtual Tabletop and Tables: https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?...t=&pfrom=&pto=

Some of these are specific to 5E that you may be able to use, others are pretty generic and may be what you're looking for. You'll need to load the Universal Module extension to allow you to load 5E FG modules in a 3.5E campaign: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...dule-Extension

Some of Dulux Oz's extensions might be of interest to you. For example the Weather extension that generates and tracks weather: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ther-Extension

So... It's good that you came to the community with your issue. If your goal is to have tools within Fantasy Grounds that speed up play, then you're going to have to spend some time look for those tools. But, you'll probably have to look for alternative, similar tools, to the ones you have in your 3.5E books - unless you want to enter them yourself! (Which you don't want to.)

So, back to your first sentence: "Preparing this software to play is very time consuming, it doesn't worth the pain to spare a few seconds of play" There will always be some level of preparation - whether it is searching for, installing and trying the many modules that are out there, or entering data. It is up to you if this time spent in finding the FG products you want is worth it.

Additionally - there are some tools that may help you in entering data:
    - The table importer extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Table-Importer A great way to import single column rollable tables if you have the data in electronic format.
    - Imports columnar tables from CSV data (not rollable) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Access-release
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 8th, 2018 at 16:12.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Additionally (sorry I forgot to link these in the previous post), there are some cool 5E community modules, some of which contain tables here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...munity-Modules

You might also want to look at the Incarnate System: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...carnate-System

As mentioned above, modules specifically for 5E only (i.e. they don't say you can use them in CoreRPG or other systems) will need the Universal Module extension to allow you to load them in a D&D 3.5E FG campaign. Just be aware that modules with material that is specific for 5E (NPCs, for example), may raise errors when data is accessed in a 3.5E campaign - the campaign won't crash, and you may be able to use some of the data usefully.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 8th, 2018 at 16:17.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The first is a statement that could be fact and the second is a statement of opinion only.
    The Wizards licensed 5E to FG years before Paizo agreed to a license.
    True enough, but now you are able to link your Paizo account to your Fantasy Grounds account so that you don't have to pay full cover price for each version of the same book. WotC, on the other hand, wants to charge you full MSRP for the hardcover, the digital version on D&D Beyond, the digital version for Fantasy Grounds, and now the "collector's edition" hardcover. Before the licensed content modules were available from either Paizo or WotC, it was still very easy to play Pathfinder on Fantasy Grounds because all of their material is available in pdf and most of it is in the online PFSRD, so you could just copy/paste onto your character sheet. Not as good as drag-and-drop, but Paizo has never gone out of its way to make it difficult for people to access Pathfinder material.
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely play and support D&D 5e, and I have bought the whole enchilada here on FG as well as all the core rulebooks and a few of the APs in hardcover. While I don't regret any of those purchases, I do feel as though Hasbro is squeezing every last dollar they can get out of me in a way that Paizo never did. That's why I'll be buying the new edition books for Pathfinder 2 regardless of whether we ever go back to that system.

Nevermind- probably too off the original topic
    XXXXSpeaking of Pathfinder 2.0, I am assuming an agreement is in place for that iteration of PF on FG? And what would the lag time be on getting it off the ground after the books are out?XXXXX
    Last edited by Segin; July 9th, 2018 at 21:10.
    Signature:A past thread ended with me being vilified. I didn't explain well (I thought it obvious) and others kept rebuking my idea and it ended bad. Thus I will add explanations/screen shots/etc in all future posts to avoid confusion. /The seperation of "Saves in CnC" wherein I didn't clarify why well and no one recognized the need which frustrated. I realized my mistake to spell it out abc, but was attacked partly (imo) because a pwrdude got offended and (I admit) partly my presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Segin View Post
    Nevermind- probably too off the original topic
    XXXXSpeaking of Pathfinder 2.0, I am assuming an agreement is in place for that iteration of PF on FG? And what would the lag time be on getting it off the ground after the books are out?XXXXX
    Discussed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...er-2nd-edition!!!

See the comments from ddavison for the official line as we know it.

I agree with The Gutsy One. If you are just coming back to RPGs, you might want to look into Pathfinder or 5E. Both are HIGHLY supported on FG, and while Pathfinder is closer to 3.5, 5E has the D&D name behind it. PFRPG is basically D&D 3.75. It has all the bells and whistles of 3.5 with a few tweaks and a BUNCH of new options. And though I've never played it, proponents of 5E say it corrected all the idiotic problems of 4E and brought back an old 1st Ed AD&D feel. With PF, you'll have to do without Illithid and Beholders, or enter them yourself because WotC kept a tight grip on them.
    Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made me hopelessly lost!

Thread Information