STAR TREK 2d20

NPC joins the party

So I have been enjoying Fantasy Grounds so far, obviously as a software developer myself there are things I would have done differently but that is true with every programmer you meet.

What I have been doing lately is little experiments to make sure things work the way I like before I run the game. In one of the upcoming excursions the party will be accompanied by a true NPC... I say true because there is a GMPC to fill in a role gap but the new NPC that will join them for a fight for a bit will be a Spined Devil (my world and the current region is Order v Chaos more than Good v Evil so this is plausible and within the pacts struck during the previous incursion)... but I digress. This and the subsequent announcement that one of my players might retain some hirelings made me try to add NPCs to the party tracker and fail. Which leads me to my question.

Other than manual calculation is there a way to add modifiers to the party tracker to have the xp award be modified by the additional bodies, per the rules?

Blog Entries
    So you have an NPC object type for the GMPC/NPC? As you noted you can't add them to the party sheet. The only way to automate XP calculation correctly is to have a PC object on the party sheet for these GMPC's. If you are going to do that, then you might want to consider actually making PCs for these GMPCs and then taking ownership of them. But you don't have to.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

There's a couple of ways that you can do this. Clearly all that is required is that the XP be diluted so you could add a couple of dummy PCs to the party sheet which you, yourself, control. They don't appear anywhere except the party sheet and you don't need to control them. The players will see XP being allocated to these mysterious beings however in chat.

The other method (and this is how I'd prefer to do it) would be to be to create player characters. This gives you the flexibility of playing these yourself or allocating them to a player.

A third possibility of course is don't worry about XP to non party members and just ignore it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I think what we really need is an XP multiplier value in the House Rules section of the Options menu. That would not only make it easy to reduce xp awards for a party NPC, it would also accommodate the slower progression that some DMs seem to favor. It would also let a DM running a published adventure keep the party on track in terms of advancement if he decided part of the adventure should be skipped, without having to just grant a block of "catch-up" xp to the party.

I made the suggestion.

Great thanks. TBH, I think that your idea is better suited to the slowing of advancement. I think a decent suggestion would be to just have a counter on the party tracker as to how many additional bodies to take into account for xp split, not necessarily treasure assignment.

And this one also: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...3&d=1531378368 , err ment to post link to other thread here it is, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...he-party/page3
    Last edited by mr900rr; July 12th, 2018 at 07:59.

Thread Information