5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Non-Turn Based Action

When I started DMing AD&D I came up with a term I used for the time after a combat had finished and everyone was searching dead bodies, searching the surrounding shelfs; closets; chests; and cabinets, I called it "Free Action". When the last creature or enemy dropped I told the players that we where in "Free Action", well now that 3.5e has come along they turned my term into an action. Now when I try to tell my players they can take actions that take longer then 6 sec. I have to say something like "combats over", or "what do you do now". I would like to hear what all the DMs out there use when their characters are searching bodies, or do you even role-play that? I am also looking for a term to use to describe that "Time" when turn base actions are over but your not in a narrative mode either. One of my players suggested "Turn Action" since I ask for actions that take 10 to 15 min. but I don't think it sound as good as "Free Actions". Let me know what you think.
    See you around the table.

Post Mortem and/or Cleanup. I find myself using those words sometimes but coming from a software background those words make more sense to me (and to the same extent my co-worker players).

So I would say "Any Post Mortem actions before moving on?" or "Any Cleanup before we continue?".

I call it looting. Blood-thirsty and greedy PCs... :P
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

I usually give some brief narrative that indicates combat is over and unlock the tokens. Most of the players then start making skill checks/description requests/roleplay wound binding etc. out of initiative sequence. "Cleanup" would be my favored term if we had a specific one.

One problem I have run into is that I sometimes have area effect traps/ additional opponents (a la a giant spider egg sac that, if disturbed, loosed a spider swarm) so that I need to have an idea of their positions without overtly warning them something else is coming. Nothing twigs the antennae of a player more than asking "where EXACTLY are you standing while you cast that cure light wounds?" Using last combat positions isn't totally correct as they would be milling about. Using the default marching order isn't any better.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar
    I call it looting. Blood-thirsty and greedy PCs... :P
    LOL now the NPC's and monsters would loot the PC bodies too - if they could.

Normally when I run a game, after a fight I ask what the party is doing next and let them tell me. Most of the time they say they are going to loot the bodies - sometimes they don't. Depends on what was happening before the fight, whether anyone was seriously hurt or killed or what they feel their tactical situation is.

Often after a fight there is a great deal of catcalls, snickers, wisecracks and general celebration that they are the ones still alive and their opponents are not. It often gives the players a chance to interact with each other with the Monk sneering at the greedy Rogue, etc.

I've never actually defined it.

I roll initiative when at least one side is aware of the other, and I start my round by round combat. It's been pretty clear when combat ends (all opponents dead or routed), and all of my players instinctively switch off the round by round actions. They immediately begin roleplaying actions again without any regard to whose 'turn' it is.

Free phase, final actions (before narrative mode), free op(eration) or transition phase. Free phase sounds best for me.

Personally, I am wondering what is this all about. :P I don't use such terms, I just finish the battle and start narrative part or plainly ask my players what they want to do next.
    Last time they just began looting the bodies ;P and it was very normal.
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

Well, I've gotten a lot of good ideas thanks. I hope some other people got something out of this, but thats all I need. Thanks again.
    See you around the table.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar
    Personally, I am wondering what is this all about. :P I don't use such terms, I just finish the battle and start narrative part or plainly ask my players what they want to do next.
    Last time they just began looting the bodies ;P and it was very normal.
    Normal and normal... I do believe it would be frowned upon in polite society.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Thread Information