STAR TREK 2d20

Deadlands Reloaded modules I made to help me as a new GM/new players.

Hey All,

I've been trying to learn Savage Worlds to run Deadlands Reloaded. Both my players and I were having a heck of a time finding/dealing with a lot of stuff for DLR/Savage Worlds in Fantasy Ground during character creation and learning combat.

I realized this isn't a fault of FG, as looking at the original books for DLR, they're laid out very poorly, and require you to go back and forth with the original book for a lot of rules and stuff. FG's library just reproduces the exact order they were in the book.

So while working through that, I made a few modules to make this simpler for new players, as well as myself as a GM. I thought I might as well share them, as I only came up with the ideas for them through other people's work and posts.

All of these require both sets of Deadlands Reloaded and Savage Worlds books (DM and PHB). Other requirements are listed with each.

1. Guts Skill - Adds a section in the library with a custom Guts skill and the original description from the edition of Savage Worlds that had it, along with instructions on how to add it to a character sheet and get the Grit stat to automatically add to rolls. For players and/or GMs. I still can't believe DLR refers to a skill in the original SW book...that isn't in the book (and is likely why the ruleset doesn't add it since it still thinks the SW one should have it). This is just the guts skill for people that want it available but don't want the below character creation reference.
    2. Character Creation Quick Reference - Adds a library module that links together all of the things needed from both SW and DLR's books to make a character. For players and/or GM. This already includes the Guts Skill, so both modules aren't needed if you have this.

You'll see the author listed as Silver-Streak, which is my normal handle everywhere, but the hyphen is/weren't allowed way back when I registered forever ago. Many thanks to Ikael, Dr0W, Doswelk, and all the others in the Savage Worlds section of the FG discord for their helping me with my questions around the systems.

I hope these help others new to the system like me, or make it faster for any experienced GMs. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Edit 8/5/18: Updated both the Guts Skill and Character Creation Reference Module for 4.7. The Guts Skill now works properly due to the hard work of Ikael and others, and I've further modified the Character Creation Reference to make it more streamlined. It also now includes the Guts Skill as part of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Silver-Streak; August 5th, 2018 at 19:44. Reason: I may or may not have forgotten to attach the files.

For everyone using the Guts Skill, I've discovered a bug that I'm not quite sure how to solve:

It appears that Fantasy Grounds treats any customization of a skill as if it wasn't linked to a trait.

e.g.
    Dragged Intimidation Skill from Savage Worlds skill list.
    Character's spirit die at d4.
    Increased Intimidation to d6, the Character Summary screen counted the increase as 2 points. (total of 3 points used)
    Renamed skill to "test", it immediately updated to only count as 1 point. (total of 2 points used).

The skill still lists Spirit as the attribute. Not quite sure how to fix this on the Guts Skill, but something to keep in mind if you have a player using the skill.

Any help is appreciated, I'm also checking on the FG discord for more assistance. I'll post an updated version if I can fix it.

Edit: While I'm waiting on a response/trying to figure out a fix, if you're looking for help on making a custom guts skill with everything linked to it, here you go:

1. Open the character sheet.
    2. Click the Skills tab.
    3. Click the button to the right of the word [B]Skills[B] on the upper right.
    4. Click the green + button.
    5. Name the new line Guts.
    6. Click the button next to Guts.
    7. Within the attribute field, type Spirit.
    8. If you would like to add the description, here you go: "Guts reflects a hero’s bravery. Characters are often called on to make Guts checks when they witness grisly scenes or encounter particularly horrific monsters."
    9. Close the updated skill window.
    10. Back on the character sheet, right click Guts.
    11. Click the lower right button labeled modifiers (with the +- signs).
    12. On the new modifier windows, click the empty line.
    13. Type Grit. The Grit modifier will automatically apply.

Please note that once you do this for one character you can drag that skill to other character's sheets and it will work correctly. No idea why it flips out if it's a premade skill (such as from a reference manual or module) and it's customized.
    Last edited by Silver-Streak; June 24th, 2018 at 00:30. Reason: Added manual steps.

I think the issue may be in the capitalization you use in your code when referring to Grit. If I remember right, all attributes (both primary, and derived) are all lower case.

Custom skill issue has been resolved in v4.7, from the changelog:

[Bug] Skill point calculation does not work properly for custom skills. Fixed

This version, is I am not wrong is going to be released end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Eujin View Post
    For everyone using the Guts Skill, I've discovered a bug that I'm not quite sure how to solve:

It appears that Fantasy Grounds treats any customization of a skill as if it wasn't linked to a trait.

e.g.
    Dragged Intimidation Skill from Savage Worlds skill list.
    Character's spirit die at d4.
    Increased Intimidation to d6, the Character Summary screen counted the increase as 2 points. (total of 3 points used)
    Renamed skill to "test", it immediately updated to only count as 1 point. (total of 2 points used).

The skill still lists Spirit as the attribute. Not quite sure how to fix this on the Guts Skill, but something to keep in mind if you have a player using the skill.

Any help is appreciated, I'm also checking on the FG discord for more assistance. I'll post an updated version if I can fix it.

Edit: While I'm waiting on a response/trying to figure out a fix, if you're looking for help on making a custom guts skill with everything linked to it, here you go:

1. Open the character sheet.
    2. Click the Skills tab.
    3. Click the button to the right of the word [B]Skills[B] on the upper right.
    4. Click the green + button.
    5. Name the new line Guts.
    6. Click the button next to Guts.
    7. Within the attribute field, type Spirit.
    8. If you would like to add the description, here you go: "Guts reflects a hero’s bravery. Characters are often called on to make Guts checks when they witness grisly scenes or encounter particularly horrific monsters."
    9. Close the updated skill window.
    10. Back on the character sheet, right click Guts.
    11. Click the lower right button labeled modifiers (with the +- signs).
    12. On the new modifier windows, click the empty line.
    13. Type Grit. The Grit modifier will automatically apply.

Please note that once you do this for one character you can drag that skill to other character's sheets and it will work correctly. No idea why it flips out if it's a premade skill (such as from a reference manual or module) and it's customized.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

As Ikael mentioned above, the bugs fixed with the release of 4.7 has allowed the Guts Skill module to work properly. I've re-exported it, as well as slightly cleaned up my character creation quick reference module, and updated the original post above.

Thread Information