5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 28 of 28 First ... 18262728
    Why bother showing us the features of AK 2 if you're trashing it? It's not like it's going to change Smitework's mind if they see how cool your extension is; all you're doing at this point is fruitlessly teasing the community. While I respect your decision to cease development and distance yourself from SW, and I appreciate your contributions with AK 1 and the likes, it feels like you're hurting the users more than you're hurting big corporate. I see no reason why you couldn't upload AK 2 to a repo and let the community continue development.
    I'm sad to see you go, Ken L; and while I hope SW changes their stance, I know that probably won't happen, and all we're left with is a taste of what could have been.

Thank you, and good luck with your future endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by xxXEliteXxx View Post
    Why bother showing us the features of AK 2 if you're trashing it? It's not like it's going to change Smitework's mind if they see how cool your extension is; all you're doing at this point is fruitlessly teasing the community. While I respect your decision to cease development and distance yourself from SW, and I appreciate your contributions with AK 1 and the likes, it feels like you're hurting the users more than you're hurting big corporate. I see no reason why you couldn't upload AK 2 to a repo and let the community continue development.
    Yeah, I'm really confused as to the intent of withdrawing the code. It's hurting the community and the community developers, which he's supposedly trying to stand up for. It's not hurting Smiteworks at all. So the only people being punished are the users.

I was going to let this lie, but I've just noticed the comment Ken has added in post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    This contribution has been removed by the author due to a disagreement with the change to the contributor license enacted by Smiteworks.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-contributors

Moderators editing this post to re-upload it seem to have no respect for the original author's intentions, and would rather keep whatever value this provided to smiteworks.
    Ken L released this code under the GPL. The GPL disallows revoking of the GPL - i.e. removing the code.

As mentioned in the GPL FAQ: "We think it is wrong to take back permissions already granted, except due to a violation. If your freedom could be revoked, then it isn't really freedom." There's been no 'violation' of Ken's code or the GPL it was released under, so why has access to the code been removed?

I understand Ken's reasons for wanting to remove his code, and I respect the rights for authors to use their own code. But releasing something under a specific license - which both opens up freedom for that code, but also restricts some uses of it - should also be adhered to. Removing this code goes against the public license he released it under.

As mentioned in the GPL FAQ: "If your freedom could be revoked, then it isn't really freedom."
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 24th, 2019 at 15:56.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

AK 2.0 I can say is amazing, I’ve had to edit it so it works with any new update that’s been released by FG but so far nothing has broken and I’m using it for personal use, was a lot of stuff unfinished, like graphic buttons that I had to replace and I figured out how to change a few things to my personal taste. E.g. font size and gm icon.

It’s a shame it was pulled but it seems Ken has moved on to better things for himself and I would believe we should just let the topic die and move on.

If you download the latest modified version from the other thread you can get a compatible version that has more and new features, actually.

My favorite changes being the addition to the alt and alt+ctrl clicks. Though I understand the scaling options are another really big favorite...

Just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know about it, Paddy. It's pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyjuice View Post
    It’s a shame it was pulled but it seems Ken has moved on to better things for himself and I would believe we should just let the topic die and move on.
    I agree, and I had let it be. In fact I hadn't posted anything regarding Ken's decision to remove his code before - even though it went against the license he released it under. But then I noticed the recent comment in post #1 calling out moderators for not having respect. My post was more for other people reading the thread, not for Ken as I also assume he's moved on.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by JLBatman View Post
    If you download the latest modified version from the other thread you can get a compatible version that has more and new features, actually.

My favorite changes being the addition to the alt and alt+ctrl clicks. Though I understand the scaling options are another really big favorite...

Just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know about it, Paddy. It's pretty sweet.
    Most of those features I’ve added to AK 2.0 for personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by JLBatman View Post
    Would you be able to link to this other thread? I wasn't aware there was an available download for AK2.

Would you be able to link to this other thread? I wasn't aware there was an available download for AK2.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...bat-extension)

It's not AK2 (i.e not a new version of Advanced Combat from Ken L).

AK 2.0 isn’t available to the public and never will be sorry.

Thread Information