Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Found Mac bug with 5e DMG module, cannot return to launcher

I have had this issue for a while now, but never bothered to troubleshoot it until today, and I think I found the culprit. First, the tech details:

MacBook Pro, macOS 10.12.6, 16GB RAM, i7 processor, latest Fantasy Grounds running in Wine container.

Whenever I had attempted to leave a campaign that I had launched, not joined, and chosen "return to launcher" instead of exit, my copy of Fantasy Grounds would hang forever stuck on the "Loading, please wait..." splash screen. Every time. I created a new campaign, and it did not have the same issue. So I was determined to find the culprit in all of my 5e campaigns that had the symptom.

So I spent about 45 minutes on a fresh 5e campaign launching and returning to launcher successfully, enabling and disabling individual modules with each round returning to launcher. Only one module recreated the symptom EVERY TIME.

The Dungeon Master's Guide 5e module.

Please, if any Mac users out there can verify for me, that would be helpful. Create a fresh 5e campaign, enable only the DMG module, and attempt to "Return to Launcher". I think there is a bug in that module.

I don't believe there is anything specific to the DMG module that is different than the other modules, other than the fact that it is a much larger module graphic-wise than most. And, Fantasy Grounds doesn't treat any modules differently, they're all loaded and unloaded using the same code.

It may just be taking a really long time to unload. Unfortunately, I don't have any tools to dig into Wine-specific issues with FG.

Regards,
    JPG

Ok. With all of my other 5e modules loaded (PHB, Volo's, Monster Manual, Sword Coast), but no DMG, my install returns to the launcher in about 3-4 minutes. With just the DMG enabled, it will hang forever on return to launcher. I have left it overnight to see if it ever recovered with no success. Hoping any other Mac users could perform the same test to verify the issue independently.

Upstate NY (and not Westchester, I mean dead in the middle)
    I can verify similar behavior with the Dungeon Master's Module loaded (MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.13.5, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3) Fantasy Grounds Test version 3.3.6, latest update running in Wine container. I haven't tested any other combinations of other modules, but I can say that with just the Dungeon Maser's Guide loaded (not the - Maps or - Player's version) returning to the launcher seems impossible without a forced shutdown.

Blog Entries
    You could write a short extension that has a button/shortcut to unload the DMG
    Have a look at the scripts used in the Campaign Setup dialogues.

Just as a FYI, I can't recreate the issue running Wine 3.0 (through Play On Linux) and Ubuntu Linux.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    @sturtus: can you try unloading the DMG module within a fresh campaign. Does the module unload for you and roughly how long is it taking to unload?

Also, can you try reloading the campaign (using /reload all) with the DMG open. Does it reload? And if so again how long?
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You could write a short extension that has a button/shortcut to unload the DMG
    Have a look at the scripts used in the Campaign Setup dialogues.
    I have a short script for it... CMD+OPTION+ESC / force quit Fantasy Grounds + double click Fantasy Grounds Icon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ll00ll00ll00ll View Post
    I have a short script for it... CMD+OPTION+ESC / force quit Fantasy Grounds + double click Fantasy Grounds Icon.
    Make sure you run /save first as this wont save the closing data....

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Make sure you run /save first as this wont save the closing data....
    I haven't lost any data yet, but "past performance doesn't guarantee future results" as they say... I will add this to my script, thanks for the head's up.

Thread Information