DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: Plot Threads

Plot Threads

What are you people out there curently playing or planning to run? I am curious as to what scenarious other GM's are running.

For now... We are running a campaign set in England during the 800's (Viking Invasion) near Offa's Dyke. Focusing mostly on building a community and preparing for the inevitable invasion, the politics of the small squabbling baronies this is a pretty low-key campaign where things go on the realistic first hand.

Call of Cthulhu is the second running one with the players currently observing a small group of cultists near Innsmouth. So far there is only suspicion and psychology at play, but since it is slow-paced they will have plenty of time to build up tension. It will be a couple of years until the cult has strength enough to call upon father Dagon anyway.

And as always... a silly over the top campaign to offset the more serious stuff. Currenly introducing VERY disturbed children to Hogswarts in the Harry Potter universe. There is something very deeply satisfying about these tough streetsmart hoodlums meeting up with the kinda naive happy wizardling society.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

I am currently running a fantasy campaign set in Forgotten Realms (Faerun), using D&D 3.5 rules. Or 3.25. So far, players have been trapped in a small city surrounded with a magical sphere (acting like a force field, which allows passage only one-way, this time IN ). There was a goblin army nearby, preparing to attack the town. Players had to find a way to get out of the trap and look for help in the nearest big city, asking thultyrl Rendeth (Procampur's ruler) himself, to lend them an army which would save Maerstar (the trapped city).

Right now, we are having a major battle in city streets, burning buildings, chaos, blood & death. There's much more to do and more dangers await our heroes. ;] But I can't talk about them here.
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

Currently I'm running a d20 Modern Urban Arcana campaign. The heroes are members of the local Police Force, and its kind of a CSI/Criminal Minds type campaign. So far they've only just had minor brushes with the fantasy elements - chiefly being Lifesavers, and Mountain Dews

Oh how I love modern Cure Light Wound potions

I am running a straight up Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign set in Greyhawk.

The game has restarted after a TPK in the former group.

So far, all good fun.

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Ages Past

I'm running a non-standard 3.5e game in my own world. The party has just defeated an evil goblin that had been causing the local town folk to get ill. They still have yet to pursue their other objectives that only they know of and the intrigue deepens.
    See you around the table.

Why not make this a thread for spill over plot? A repository of sorts where those of us whom are blessed by an overactive imagination (that would be the GM's...) could drop storyideas or NPCs for different systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberoten
    Why not make this a thread for spill over plot? A repository of sorts where those of us whom are blessed by an overactive imagination (that would be the GM's...) could drop storyideas or NPCs for different systems?
    This wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't mind sharing some of my NPC's for use in other games.

The nice thing with d20 systems - is that the basics of stat blocks vary little between systems. Tho often times the difficulty comes from obtaining backgrounds and plots.

I'm also in the midst of working on "modernizing" the Sidhe for use in my d20 Modern campaign setting. I may release this in the future if there are people who wish it.

I'm also toying with the idea of taking existing cities, and "Urban Arcana"ifying them.

Can ya'll tell I likey me the d20 Modern stuff That...and I've gotten over my City Of Heroes/Villains addiction and am focusing back onto my original love - RPG's (due in no small part to FG )

I'm running the 3.5e revised White Plume Mountain as a one-shot (hopefully for multiple groups).

While running this module I am developing a 3.5e campaign set in the Lankhmar setting. I hope to launch this campaign this summer.

Workable miniplothooks...

In each town the towncrier is an important source of news and gossip as well as the one person nobody will be suspicious to see out in the middle of the night... But hat is the towncrier turns into a bad apple or always was?

His word would weigh heavily on most trials. A good man to befriend perhaps, someone that could look away or throw suspicion as he sees fit.

(( To make the npc as useful as possible, I will give no real stats, only grade their abilities from -5 to +5 with 0 being the normal guy on the street and +5 a MAJOR Npc Hero. Each step being roughly twice the previous. ))

The Good
    Ivahan Sanatos
    Physical Attributes : +1 Hardened by years on the streets.
    Mental Attributes : +1 Not a bad detective, you will have to work to deceieve
    him.
    Spiritual : -2 Ivahan denies the gods. He has no use for them.
    Fighting Skills : +2 - A skilled fighter, veteran from some war perhaps?
    Social Skills : -1 - He is quite blunt and will not shy from a truth in
    any way.
    Personality :
    Ivahan is as mentioned quite blunt, but otherwise a cheerful person that will usually wrap blunt truths in just enough humor to not get himself into too many a duell. Nonetheless even if he denies the gods, he does believe in Justice. But justice is not a god to be worshipped, only a concept to be served. He is unflinchingly moral to a fault and will go to great lengths to expose lies and crime.

The Bad
    Aron Malchai

Phsyical Attributes : 0
    Mental Attributes : +2 Aron is a shrewd man, he can usually peg a man or
    woman for what they are after with but a single
    glance.
    Spiritual Attributes : +1 A charming man, so thinks the clergy that recieves
    a great deal of money from his affairs.
    Fighting Skill : -1 Aron does NOT get into a fight if he can avoid it. He
    prefers to have others handle such things. By setting
    the townguard on his opponents.
    Social Skill : +3 A social and well loved man in his community Aron
    knows JUST what to tell and to who to get the
    wheels rolling.

Personality :
    Aron is a cruel and vengeful man who will use his influence to hurt those who slight him in any way. He finds great pleasure in seing such people hurt or pulled down by the law. He also knows almost everything that goes on in the town he works in and could sell information or make sure others get the WRONG information quite easily.

As for the Ugly

... that'd be me.

One plot thread that I ran until the party was decimated was vile in nature; anyone who is not mature should not read the following post:

D
    O

N
    O
    T

R
    E
    A
    D

I
    F

N
    O
    T

M
    A
    T
    U
    R
    E
    !!

I basically had the cult kidnap all of the children in the town one night. The townsfolk were besides themselves as you could imagine. To make matters worse, the authorities were tied up in red tape with the nearby city's politics.

What ended up happening was the party discovered that the cult had kidnapped the children, and were planning to "brainwash" them into killing machines. This threw an interesting curveball into the mix, as the party was strong enough to mow through the "mmoks" as it were, and gave extra motivation to fight the cult.

My advice to anyone is: When playing evil, think evil. Make the villan dispicable. Make the party REALLY want to deal with the villan. Do not be afraid to use underhanded tactics, do not play fair, and when your players defeat them, they will be much more satisfied.

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Thread Information