5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Looking to purchase FG but am reading things about it regarding MACs that may turn me off to it. Will be running it on a MacBook Pro operating macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

Am I needing Wineskin these days? Am I going to have to sort out network stuff to enable players to game in my campaign? Neither prospect are appealing to me, complicating things for what appears to be a wonderful piece of. DM’ing productivity software.

Looking forward to answer and guidance!

GrayMouser

Blog Entries
    Hola GrayMouser

Yep and yep.
    Wineskin and networking are required.

You can try the demo and see if it works and if you can connect - for many users it just works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
    Looking to purchase FG but am reading things about it regarding MACs that may turn me off to it. Will be running it on a MacBook Pro operating macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

Am I needing Wineskin these days? Am I going to have to sort out network stuff to enable players to game in my campaign? Neither prospect are appealing to me, complicating things for what appears to be a wonderful piece of. DM’ing productivity software.

Looking forward to answer and guidance!

GrayMouser
    As damned says, FG requires a Windows emulator and networking. But also as he says, for most people they don't have to worry about any of that because the Mac installer includes a wine wrapper and networking usually just works for people.

That being said, if either doesn't work, people here are very helpful.

Also, as damned said you can install the demo (same application, just don't enter license info) and see if it works for you. Just go download the Mac installer and try it out Finally, Smiteworks has a 30 day money back refund policy, very easy to do and they don't hassle you about it or anything.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hola GrayMouser

Yep and yep.
    Wineskin and networking are required.

You can try the demo and see if it works and if you can connect - for many users it just works.
    True that

I’ve been running on a mac with that os version with no problems. Just get the FG download from this site and you’re good to go.

Running FG on High Sierra (10.13.6) for a while now.

You don't have to worry about the Wine part as it is hidden (bundled) inside the FG Mac version. So everything is already configured. The only point is you'll have to right-click the software to use the Show Package Contents option to get to the application folders when needed.

On the network side, you just have to make sure everyone has its 1802 port open, whatever their OS is. This last answer is a bit of a simplification as we all know networking can be tricky for all kind of reasons. But the point is FG shouldn't be the problem's origin if the port part is solved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    Running FG on High Sierra (10.13.6) for a while now.

You don't have to worry about the Wine part as it is hidden (bundled) inside the FG Mac version. So everything is already configured. The only point is you'll have to right-click the software to use the Show Package Contents option to get to the application folders when needed.

On the network side, you just have to make sure everyone has its 1802 port open, whatever their OS is. This last answer is a bit of a simplification as we all know networking can be tricky for all kind of reasons. But the point is FG shouldn't be the problem's origin if the port part is solved.
    Only the GM needs 1802 open. Unless it's different on a Mac but I can't see how.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Even on Mac only GM needs 1802 open

Thanks, folks. Very helpful and comforting. Fairly new MAC user and already been burned with software I relied on or wanted not available or working.

So, regarding networking....on the MAC, how would one confirm port 1802 was open?

Will be downloading DEMO version for MAC this week. Looking forward to this awesome software and DM’ing ...... Feels good to be getting back into D&D after 30 years......

You’ll need to set up the port forwarding on your router and set your Mac to have a static IP address. Then you can run the test in FG to confirm it works.

Thread Information