5E Character Create Playlist

Help with "Load Campaign"

I have been leading a homebrew campaign since Nov/Dec without too many issues. I loaded FG today, noted that an update was available, and ran the updater. After it completed I loaded up my campaign and set about adding in some content for an upcoming session. Windows 10 update restarted my computer when I was AFK for a meal. When I booted the program back up, there were some error messages, admittedly I clicked through them w/o reading I have noted similar before when the program is "force closed" for one reason or another, but nothing seemed to have been affected in the past. This time, however, all of my content was gone. PC/Quest/Note/Story tabs were all empty. I quit the program and opened up the data folder location on my hard drive, it is full of stuff. As far as I can tell by opening up the chat logs, everything I had been doing immediately prior to going AFK is there, but the program no longer accesses any of it. FG can still load up the data from other campaigns.

I Attempted restarting the program, updating the program, copying the data into a new campaign folder, and an initial google to see if I could find a solution, all without much success.

Does anyone have any tentative solutions? If there is not a way to get FG to load this campaign, can I turn that data into a module somehow? Like the in program export feature but from outside of the program? Then I could conceivably load that module with any campaign. (not yet grasping at straws, still have a few days until the next session).

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

There are db.session.#####.xml files that get saved to your campaign directory each time FG is started.

You will want to follow these steps:
    * Go to campaign directory inside FG data folder (button in upper right of launcher.
    * Rename db.xml to db.replace.xml.
    * Find the largest db.session.###.xml file which is also the newest. (May need to change Windows Explorer view to Details)
    * Make a copy of this session file, and rename to db.xml
    * Try loading your campaign again.

You can try using any of the session files to see what they have, just make sure to make copies instead of renaming directly or deleting.

Regards,
    JPG

Amazing, I appreciate the help! I'm almost being too greedy now, but, any advice for safe guarding myself from similar mishaps in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by TDA17 View Post
    Amazing, I appreciate the help! I'm almost being too greedy now, but, any advice for safe guarding myself from similar mishaps in the future?
    Your campaign data is saved automatically every 5 minutes or so and at the end of each session when you close FG; this is the db.xml file that you can see in each campaign folder.

When you start FG a file is created and if FG should crash or be interrupted that file will be offered as the one to load when you next start the campaign. As you have also noted from above each day a session file is saved if there were changes made to the campaign. So in essence you are backed up automatically. If you want belt and braces; at the end of each session zip up the campaign folder for the campaign you were playing and save the zipped file elsewhere.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Also don't use a synced shared location for your live data like Dropbox or Drive. You can copy to / from though.

Thread Information