DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by shadelon View Post
    It's the size of the window. When I resize the story window down to the same size as the ability box, jitteryness is greatly reduced. Text is a factor, but so is the size of the window. If you make the window smaller, it should be less noticeable.

Edit: I'm still definitely getting a graphics card, but for those of you who can't (i.e. laptop), just resize the window, make it smaller. This should help.
    I think resizing the window only helps in that it reduces the amount of text that needs to be drawn, but that may be enough in a lot of cases. It's certainly an easier workaround for most people than what I am doing, though! (and cheaper than a new video card)

Hi,

i am also suffering from a very poor performance when using my notebook with an integrated graphics card.

Does anyone have experience with a tool like https://www.hialgo.com/TechnologyBOOST.html (or something similar) which claims to improve the dx9 performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Snippels View Post
    Hi,

i am also suffering from a very poor performance when using my notebook with an integrated graphics card.

Does anyone have experience with a tool like https://www.hialgo.com/TechnologyBOOST.html (or something similar) which claims to improve the dx9 performance?
    Interesting, I haven't tried that, but it might help. Did you ever give it a shot?

Personally, I decided it was time to get myself a new laptop (the one I mentioned earlier here is still fine, but it's from work) so I got one with an nVidia chip (Lenovo Yoga 730 15", Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX1050 w/ 4GB). It has both an Intel integrated GPU and the nVidia one, and by default uses the Intel one (uses less energy, I'm sure). If I launch FG with that card, I get the same performance issues I talked about earlier. If I switch to the nVidia chip, everything's smooth as silk.

It's an expensive solution to be sure, but it was time to get a new system anyways. I didn't buy it *just* for FG!

Got the same issue, was doing quite a lot of text Story and wondering why things were getting slow. I've got a ASRock N3150-ITX, which uses Intel graphics. I will try with smaller windows, and maybe an external el cheapo AMD or Nvidia videocard. Size is quite an issue though, the case is very small. Will report on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Personally, I decided it was time to get myself a new laptop (the one I mentioned earlier here is still fine, but it's from work) so I got one with an nVidia chip (Lenovo Yoga 730 15", Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX1050 w/ 4GB)
    In the end, that's what I did as well. However, I invested in a more affordable Dell G3 Notebook with integrated nVidia GPU. Now, reconsidering my choice, I am quite satisfied. I use the notebook now in my living room while watching movies with my wife while preparing the next sessions.

One thing I found out to be missing for my notebook choice is the compatibility with a docking station. Today, I can only attach one external display and although this is enough for now, it limits my possibility to invest in a projector or a second screen.

In the end, that's what I did as well. However, I invested in a more affordable Dell G3 Notebook with integrated nVidia GPU. Now, reconsidering my choice, I am quite satisfied. I use the notebook now in my living room while watching movies with my wife while preparing the next sessions.

One thing I found out to be missing for my notebook choice is the compatibility with a docking station. Today, I can only attach one external display and although this is enough for now, it limits my possibility to invest in a projector or a second screen.
    The Yoga I got has been working really well. I splurged a little on it, but got it on a cyber Monday sale or something and it was a few hundred $$ off, so it wasn't bad.

The nVidia chip makes a world of difference. I thought I'd make use of the touch screen more, but I tend to forget that it's even there... Then when I do use it for touch, I have to clean off a bunch of fingerprints. Oh well. It handles my game table screen nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Milmoor View Post
    Got the same issue, was doing quite a lot of text Story and wondering why things were getting slow. I've got a ASRock N3150-ITX, which uses Intel graphics. I will try with smaller windows, and maybe an external el cheapo AMD or Nvidia videocard. Size is quite an issue though, the case is very small. Will report on the results.
    Unfortunately, I failed in getting an external videocard working. I need an extender because of the size of the case, but somewhere things break down. Waiting for Unity now. That might change things.

Amazon sells a USB to VGA adapter for $15.00, they are stable and mature technology and work great for a second/third/etc monitor if you just want to add the extra monitor. To replicate a full docking station, you can get USB docking stations for around $100.00 that work rather well, and they don't need to be matched to the laptop manufacturer, again this is fairly mature technology and they work rather well as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirloc View Post
    Amazon sells a USB to VGA adapter for $15.00, they are stable and mature technology and work great for a second/third/etc monitor if you just want to add the extra monitor. To replicate a full docking station, you can get USB docking stations for around $100.00 that work rather well, and they don't need to be matched to the laptop manufacturer, again this is fairly mature technology and they work rather well as a whole.
    I’m getting a bit annoyed in the slow response of FGC. It’s just too slow. I type some text, and have to wait for it to appear. Local and via RDP. My computer has a Intel Celeron N3150 which has a build in Intel GPU. CPU is at 50% max while using it and it’s not really doing anything else. To improve it I can either go the USB to HDMI or the PCIe x1 option with for example a GeForce GT710. I’ll need a new computer for FG sometime, but want to postpone this till FGU has stabilized. Any thoughts if either option will improve things significantly? If not, I'll get my new PC a bit earlier.

More money than sense error detected between keyboard and chair: bought a new PC. AMD 3200G CPU and graphics, that should do just fine.

Tips for others with the same issue:
    - Intel, lot of text and Fantasy Grounds doesn't work very well. Disable all unnecessary effects like anti aliasing: https://i.imgur.com/TdpKG2c.png (not my image)
    - make your workspace smaller, don't /scaleui 70 to get more text on it like I did.
    - reduce the amount of text, close windows
    Experiment a bit. Not all my tips will be applicable in your situations, some might not help at all.
    Last edited by Milmoor; June 1st, 2020 at 14:30. Reason: clarification

Thread Information