Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    I'm a huge advocate of playing the devil's advocate Trenloe

I can see the companion app also being able to notify of its own updates, though it probably wouldn't need to be updated just to maintain its current feature set.

As for GM work, it would be possible to have the companion app set itself to run at start up (with user's permission) and automatically update installed extensions, creating backups in a new folder (e.g. FG_Data>extension_updater>backups>[extensionname_timestamp]) It would probably make sense to backup the db.xml to extenstion_updater>campaigns>[campaign_name]>db_timestamp.xml.

At this point it would just notify the GM of extensions which were updated.
    Window Saver X - Create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkjsdll View Post
    I'm a huge advocate of playing the devil's advocate Trenloe
    Haha - sure, that's cool.

I'm one to point out the issues that can occur and what has been discussed before - so anyone involved can get involved with their eyes open. If people believe what I say, of course! ;-) It will be a lot of work that never ends and requires buy in from a diverse community (both the developers who want to be involved and the volunteers who cover those you don't). Most things like this require one person to do the lion's share of the work to get it off the ground - and then keep it going. But, don't let me put you off - just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't get the traction needed to progress to the heights that you envision!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    What about security? Would this have any way to bypass anti-virus? Not that people on the forums can validate that an extension only does what it says, but does this idea open or increase any security concerns?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    What about security? Would this have any way to bypass anti-virus? Not that people on the forums can validate that an extension only does what it says, but does this idea open or increase any security concerns?
    I can certainly see there being security concerns relating to the companion program. I don't know enough to speak to the question of anti-virus, but I have an idea for addressing security concerns.

There's a project/framework called Electron that allows you to develop cross-platform desktop apps by basically programming a website. It's used by some pretty notable teams.

If the companion app was built with electron (for example), you would be able to modify the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript that the app would be coded in. I know that most people wouldn't end up doing that, but I personally feel better about running code that I can see that other people have signed off on.

This would take just a little more work for the user than if we bundled up all of the code ahead of time, but do you feel it might help address security concerns?
    Window Saver X - Create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.

The only version of this I support is a centralized 'steam-workshop' opt-in like approach from Smiteworks themselves. Perhaps in FGU we'll get that. Until that point the definition of what conforming to a 'community standard' is; is a bit too amorphous as not everyone will buy in. Mind you that not many people make extensions for FG and a smaller subset of those share them given FG's updates tending to break things given the integration required. Heck, only the newer developers use git hub links as the traditional way is uploading the .ext like pre-packaged salads. FG gives much power of morphing the application to how you want it to feel like at the expense of their 'ruleset layering' approach which causes these cascading breakages. Perhaps a future version would be more handler based but I don't see that coming as it would fly in the face of the customizable nature.

In short, I think it's best to see what FGU comes up with and then react on it, until that point, any global system of extension management can quickly become obsolete which berates the effort in forging the opt-in standard.
    Last edited by Ken L; May 13th, 2018 at 02:43.

If everyone remains patient for the next 2-3 days (and saves themselves some wasted effort/angst) then I think that you all will be pleasantly surprised - more Soon(TM)
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Was there a big surprise and if so is there a link?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paladiusdarkhelm View Post
    Was there a big surprise and if so is there a link?

Yes, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ter)-Extension

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information