DICE PACKS BUNDLE

What's helpful to do before first adventure as player?

In search of any advice on how to prepare for the first adventure for a newbie. Any thing I should learn to make the DM jobs easier? Thanks!

Read the adventure through at least twice. And read the next bit before each session so you know what is going to happen.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    No! Don't do that

Just let the DM know you've never played and/or never used FG before. If the rulesystem has a set of player rules or basic rules,read those if they are free. Not to memorize them but just to get familiar with it (most systems do, but since you didn't mention which game your playing...)

You can also jump into the FG College and see if they have a class that fits, or see if some will walk you through an encounter or two so you get the feel for how to make attacks, navigate the character sheet etc.

Biggest thing, don't worry. I've run lots of new people through at cons and it's really pretty easy, whether you are using FG or playing in person. Don't worry about the rules so much, just let the DM know what you want to do. (Can I climb up the wall? I want to attack the lizard man with my sword. etc)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Sorry I thought you were the DM. This is what get for reading stuff at 2 in the morning.

Yes, what LE said.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Do your best to learn how to use FG. Watch some Tutorial Vids (eg from my sig, below, or others), see if you can attend a session at FG College, watch some twitch shows - things like that.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Best new player question ever..... don't ever change good sir!
    Currently Running: Eberron
    Recently Complete: Lost Mines of Phandelver / Green Ronins Freeport Trilogy / Tomb of Horrors
    Currently playing: nothing at the moment.
    Timezone: Australian Sydney Time - what ever the hell that is at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidbat View Post
    In search of any advice on how to prepare for the first adventure for a newbie. Any thing I should learn to make the DM jobs easier? Thanks!
    Just let the DM know; he may well suggest logging in and creating your character rather than importing it. That way, he can lead you through the nuts and bolts of how to load the mods (manuals), how to drang and drop and possibly how to use the combat tracker and maps. I've just done this with some new FG (and 5E) players for Out Of The Abyss. Worthwhile for all of us I think.

Thanks everyone I'll try and go to the college section to try and learn FG

Don't forget to pass your turn when done��

Some other ideas: make sure your audio setup won't cause audio feedback, e.g., if using a desktop computer use a headset, headphones or earbuds instead of having sound coming of loudspeakers and back into your microphone. I think some laptops have built-in feedback cancellation for their audio devices, though.

Also, check with the DM re: what kind of background prep they like player characters to have, if any.

Tobiah Panshin has a Kindle ebook intended for DMs, but the part toward the front about character backgrounds could be useful for players as well.

Thread Information