DICE PACKS BUNDLE

View Poll Results: How would you prefer to close all open windows with this extension?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't have a reason to ever close all open windows with this extension

0 0%
  • By loading a preset I saved with 0 windows in it

2 25.00%
  • With a new slash command (/wsx_close? /wsx_wipe?)

3 37.50%
  • By loading a preset I saved with 0 windows in it or with a new slash command - I want both options

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Window Saver X Extension

Download Latest Version

Overview

Window Saver X allows you to create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.
    - If you are used to saving links in stories to open up a bunch of windows when you start a new encounter, you should consider saving those windows as a preset!
    - If you have a layout you like your windows in when you're in town, you should consider saving those windows as a preset!

This extension started off as a patch for Window Saver by lokiare1 to add client support, but has since split off into its own extension. I've tested primarily in 5e, but it probably works with most/every ruleset.

Instructions

/wsx clear [name] - Deletes the preset named [name]
    /wsx close - Closes all open windows (reopen with /wsx restore)
    /wsx help - Displays basic info on the other slash commands in your chat box
    /wsx list [page number] - Lists your saved presets
    /wsx load [name] - Closes all open windows, then opens windows in the preset [name]
    /wsx open [name] - Opens windows in the preset [name] without closing windows
    /wsx restore - Reopens all windows closed by the last time you quit the game or loaded a preset
    /wsx save [name] - Saves a preset as [name]

GM Only:
    /wsx share [name] - Opens windows in the preset for everyone, sharing windows as needed

Known Issues

Some windows aren't properly tracked on client.
    There's a bug in FG that currently prevents windows created by the client from being tracked until you close & reopen them. This is pretty specific issue that will go away as soon as the bug is fixed.

Planned Features

A GUI that supports all of the same functionality as the slash commands.
    While I love slash commands, I know that there are plenty of people who prefer a GUI. Not sure if GUI would be opened with a button somewhere in the interface or with the slash command /wsx.

Searching through presets rather than listing all of them. Waiting on GUI, maybe no slash command
    Maybe /wsx search [query], where you get a list of all presets that start with your query.

Links for Maps which open a set of saved windows without closing windows Waiting on GUI
    The idea for this one is that when your party enters a new room with separate notes, an encounter, a loot table, etc... You can open all relevant windows in 1 click in saved locations.

Create presets by drag-and-dropping open windows into GUI Waiting on GUI
    This will use the location of the window at the time of drag-and-dropping, which can be updated by re-adding the window to a preset.

Notes

I like to use RTS-style grouping hotkeys, which you can add using hotbars. (e.g. CTRL+F1=/wsx save temp F1=/wsx load temp)

If you load a preset that has no windows in it, all open windows will be closed, which you may or may not find useful.

This extension uses semantic versioning, which means that the way I change the version number is changed as follows (vX.Y.Z):
    X Changes when the new version breaks something that the extension did before. There's only planned feature that might lead to this, at the moment.
    Y Changes when new functionality is added and nothing is broken by the update. Most version changes will hopefully change this number.
    Z Changes when no new functionality is added, bug(s) are fixed, and nothing is broken by the update. If I were perfect, every version would end with ".0"

Recent Version History

v3.4.0
    • add /wsx share (thanks to seycyrus for the suggestion)

v3.3.0
    • Add /wsx open
    • Fix errors in client console

v3.2.1

• Fix errors in client chat box

Full Version History

Thanks to lokiare1 for the original extension, and for fielding a bunch of questions from me as I was getting started.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gkjsdll; May 27th, 2018 at 01:44. Reason: Add v3.4.0
    Window Saver X - Create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.

Blog Entries

v2.1.0 additional notes

Quote Originally Posted by Gkjsdll View Post

v2.1.0 - Breaking changes see here for more details

• Improved compatability with other extensions
    • Removed current_session and last_session from list of user presets
    • Added /wsx_restore
    • Now saves all windows closed when loading a preset (accessed with /wsx_restore)
    Before upgrading to this version of the extension from the prior version, you should do the following if you want to preserve existing presets:

1. From your FG data directory, open campaigns>[your_campaign_name_here]>db.xml
    2. For each user, under WindowSaverX>[username], move all presets other than current_session and last_session to be inside a new presets tag (WindowSaverX>[username]>presets>[presets__go_here])

If you don't care about your presets at the time of upgrade, there's little harm in skipping these steps. You'd just end up with a bit of extra data in your db.xml that you could always remove later.
    Last edited by Gkjsdll; May 9th, 2018 at 13:01.
    Window Saver X - Create and edit multiple presets of your often-used windows, then deploy them quickly and easily at need.

Blog Entries

v3.0.0 additional notes

Quote Originally Posted by Gkjsdll
    v3.0.0 - Breaking changes see here for more details

• Update /wsx_help text
    • Paginate /wsx_list to make it easier to manage large numbers of presets (20 presets per page)
    • Set final support for preset name permitted characters (letters, numbers, ampersands, at signs, colons, periods, hyphens, spaces)
    • Now filters out unpermitted characters rather than bugging out
    • Add quotes around preset names in chat for visual clarity

There were a number of bugs that were made possible by the fact that I was letting more symbols get saved in db.xml than I should have. In this process, I changed the way that certain things are converted so they can be stored properly as xml elements.

To persist your presets from before this version:
    1. From your FG data directory open campaigns>[your campaign name here]>db.xml.
    2. For each user, under WindowSaverX>[username], replace all instances of "__" with "__dot__", and all instances of "___" with "__at__".
    3. For each user, under WindowSaverX>[username] change "current_session" to "_current_session", and prepend a "_" to each preset and window (not class, path, geometry, etc)

I know this is super sucky, but I won't make any other changes like this unless updates to FG necessitate it.

Blog Entries
    There aren't many who have downloaded this extension, and I don't know how many are using it, but I'd like to hear any ideas/requests for the GUI before I get too far into working on it.

Currently, I'm planning on having it contain a filterable list of all of your presets. Each preset will be able to be opened up and modified, including renaming presets.

There will be a link you can drag onto a map to open a preset's windows without closing open windows - useful for associating several windows with a pin.

At some point I'd want to have presets be groupable similar to stories, items, etc.

Is there some obvious functionality that I'm missing here, or does this seem like a complete feature set?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkjsdll View Post
    There aren't many who have downloaded this extension, and I don't know how many are using it, but I'd like to hear any ideas/requests for the GUI before I get too far into working on it.

Currently, I'm planning on having it contain a filterable list of all of your presets. Each preset will be able to be opened up and modified, including renaming presets.

There will be a link you can drag onto a map to open a preset's windows without closing open windows - useful for associating several windows with a pin.

At some point I'd want to have presets be groupable similar to stories, items, etc.

Is there some obvious functionality that I'm missing here, or does this seem like a complete feature set?
    Some extensions take time to gain traction... some never do. Give it a little longer and then if you havent the feedback you need - build it the way that works for you.

Blog Entries
    That makes sense. Since I've thought of what equates to binding multiple windows to a single pin, that has seemed like the most compelling use case. It might gain traction faster if it could be used in that way.

Either way, it's nice just to have someone reply to the thread for the first time

Hey, how do I download the extension?

Blog Entries
    The link's at the bottom of the first post, but here it is again (v3.1.0)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiAzza View Post
    Hey, how do I download the extension?
    If you can not see the link on the first post (or elsewhere), it is usually caused because you are viewing the 'mobile' version of the website and not the full site. You also can try changing the forum theme, select FGResponsive from the pulldown in the bottom left corner of the page.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries

v3.2.0 and what's next

There wasn't an overwhelming majority either way for preferred methods of closing all windows with this extension, so you can now either load an empty preset you create yourself or use the new command /wsx close.

Updates with new features will be on hold until I've got enough of the GUI put toghether to make a beta version available for testing. I will then continue releasing beta builds until I'm confident in the functionality of the GUI, at which point further builds will no longer be beta. I'll probably end up posting some status updates before I add the first beta build, and I'll be extra receptive to design feedback during this time.

If anyone encounters any bugs, please let me know on this thread and I'll take a break from the GUI work to fix them.

Thread Information