5E Character Create Playlist

5th Edition - Long Rest Hit Dice Recovery

This bug has been around for a few updates, so I'm surprised it hasn't been caught yet.

In PHB, pg 186, a character taking a Long Rest only recovers up to half his total hit dice. So a 6th level character would regain at most 3 hit dice after a Long Rest.

In the current version of Fantasy Grounds (3.3.5), when the GM clicks on a Long Rest, all the characters are having their Hit Dice reset to maximum all the time. We have to manually fix them to fit the rule.

Thanks for your attention on this

Blog Entries
    Good catch. I haven't noticed it, but I'm sure Mr. Z will look into it.

Note, to make sure that bug reports for 5E are caught, they are best reported in this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ports-(Part-3)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm not seeing this.

I tested a 5th level character who used up all their HD and on a long rest they recover 2 HD. If they have 3 HD left they recover 2. If they have used only 1HD they recover it. In any situation that I have tested the amount of HD recovered is exactly correct.

So that leaves us with a couple of possibilities. The first you are using an extension which is interfering with the HD recovery. Can you try in a new campaign without any extensions and see if the problem still exists. If not reenable your extensions one at a time until you find the culprit.

The second is that either the 5e ruleset or the coreRPG ruleset is not properly installed. Try going into your rulesets folder and delete the 5E.pak and CoreRPG.pak files and do an update of FG. Then test to see if that fixes the issue.

Report back if neither solution works for you.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Well, shoot. I'm a player in the campaign where we have been bugged by this, not the DM.

I also am a DM so I quickly made up a fresh campaign with no extensions and a test character at 6th level. Gave him a long rest and sure enough, the behavior is correct. I used up 4 HD of recovery, and after the long rest he had 5 like he should have - regained 3 as per the rules.

So he must have some bugged extension on his system. I will get with him and try to figure that out.

Sorry to have put in a false report. I should have tested it myself first on a clean system. Didn't think of it.

Thanks for the time to look into this for me.

Is it possible that he's using the "Healing Surges" healing variant under his options? If I'm not mistaken, that variant allows full hit-dice recovery upon a long rest. Might want to make sure he has that option set to "Standard" as well.

Actually, it turned out to be exactly that. He had the "Healing Surges" option on. We totally missed that before, but yesterday he and I went through his campaign and found it.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst20XX View Post
    Is it possible that he's using the "Healing Surges" healing variant under his options? If I'm not mistaken, that variant allows full hit-dice recovery upon a long rest. Might want to make sure he has that option set to "Standard" as well.

Good deal, glad to hear it worked out.

Thread Information