DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Rotating Maps

Rotating Maps

Is there a way, via extension or some other mean, to rotate images in FG? I was watching Epic Encounters on youtube and one of the ideas shared was a "changing" battlemap where you rotate 90 degrees to simulate walls moving. They were using Roll 20 for it but I would like to do something similar in FG.

The only way you could do this would be to create a number of maps which were all the same but rotated to whatever angles you wanted. Then when the map rotated you would load in the appropriate map and replace the PCs on it. Otherwise there isn't a way to dynamically rotate maps with FG at the moment.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You can't do it in FG.

But you can drop into the images directory (click the "Folder" button at the top of the Images and Maps window) and then open the image in a image editing application and rotate and save.

Just using the windows file explorer rotate right/left won't usually work as this doesn't actually rotate the image, it just sets an image display flag to change the rotation - which FG doesn't read.

A few things to note:
    - Doing this is going to screw up any placement of tokens, links, etc. you may have on the map.
    - Within FG the GM will need to close the image, re-open it and re-share it for everyone to see the changed image.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You can't do it in FG.

But you can drop into the images directory (click the "Folder" button at the top of the Images and Maps window) and then open the image in a image editing application and rotate and save.

Just using the windows file explorer rotate right/left won't usually work as this doesn't actually rotate the image, it just sets an image display flag to change the rotation - which FG doesn't read.

A few things to note:
    - Doing this is going to screw up any placement of tokens, links, etc. you may have on the map.
    - Within FG the GM will need to close the image, re-open it and re-share it for everyone to see the changed image.
    Thanks I was afraid of that. I was hoping it would be a little simpler.

I just had an idea. What if I loaded a version of the map as a token? FG does allow for rotating tokens. Using the Map layer extension I could have it on a lower layer so there is no token stacking issues.

Tokens are png files and if you have anything as big as a map as a png file it will be massive causing sever issues with download times as well as possible memory issues.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Davinci522 View Post
    I just had an idea. What if I loaded a version of the map as a token? FG does allow for rotating tokens. Using the Map layer extension I could have it on a lower layer so there is no token stacking issues.
    You could do that - but be very careful with the size of the token (pixel resolution). FG doesn't handle large tokens well - they take up a lot of memory, and I've even seen FG crash. I don't know the exact size that problems occur, but you'll probably want to keep the token below 1000x1000. Do some experiments - see how much memory FG uses with different sized tokens on the map - check both a GM instance and a player instance, as they can handle resources differently.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

As an example, I have tokens for the old WotC dungeon tiles at 50x50 pixels per grid square. Making the largest token 400 x 400 pixels (for a 8 squares x 8 squares tile). I use these with the layer extension. See below for an example.

I have a basic 2000 x 2000 image for the map (giving 40 x 40 50 pixel squares) as this works better than using the blank image background FG uses if there is no image file. Then I placed the corridor and room tiles on the bottom layer, furnishings on the middle.

Attached Images Attached Images

Put it on the wishlist!

If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea to the wish list https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Put it on the wishlist!

If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea to the wish list https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
    Always look on the wishlist before adding to it.

This particular piece of functionality is already on the list: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=109544

Thread Information