5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Overriding CoreRPG functions

Morning All,

Been working on the Party Sheet this morning and one thing I need to get to grips with in CoreRPG is overriding functions.

For example, CoreRPG has a function called 'buildPartyCoins'. That's perfect, but it's based on a list of coins that Traveller doesn't have, so I want to repoint it towards a single node within the character sheet.

So how do I tell my ruleset to override just that function?

I've tried adding it into my code, but the CoreRPG function always runs, and I'd rather not copy the entire 'ps_manager_loot.lua', incase CoreRPG gets any updates in this area (inventory etc).

Thanks,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

You could try to do it like this:

Add a own manager for replacing global functions to your base.xml or extension.xml:

<script name="replaceFuncManager" file="scripts/manager_func_replace.lua" />

To replace a function do something like this in you replace manager script:

local oldRef;

function onInit()
    -- save the old ref, maybe you need it
    oldRef = PartyLootManager.buildPartyCoins;

-- replace the function reference with you own one
    PartyLootManager.buildPartyCoins = buildPartyCoinsReplace;
    end

function buildPartyCoinsReplace()
    -- your own code
    -- you could still execute the "old" function by the oldRef , if you need to (if the old function calls other global function within the same script, you have to wrap them all in you manager also)
    end

Quote Originally Posted by drvolk View Post
    You could try to do it like this:

Add a own manager for replacing global functions to your base.xml or extension.xml:

<script name="replaceFuncManager" file="scripts/manager_func_replace.lua" />

To replace a function do something like this in you replace manager script:

local oldRef;

function onInit()
    -- save the old ref, maybe you need it
    oldRef = PartyLootManager.buildPartyCoins;

-- replace the function reference with you own one
    PartyLootManager.buildPartyCoins = buildPartyCoinsReplace;
    end

function buildPartyCoinsReplace()
    -- your own code
    -- you could still execute the "old" function by the oldRef , if you need to (if the old function calls other global function within the same script, you have to wrap them all in you manager also)
    end
    That sounds perfect, thanks for making the time to answer this!

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

And it worked a treat!

Ace, thanks very much I can now override the splitting of coins over the party.

Cheers,
    MBM

Gladly, especially if the development of your great ruleset could be helped a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by drvolk View Post
    Gladly, especially if the development of your great ruleset could be helped a little bit
    This is one of the reasons I love FG so much, the community really is superb, and I love learning new stuff every day even though I'm an old hand when it comes to coding!

The ruleset is pretty much there, this is something one of the testers found. I can't wait to get into all the new Starship stuff once the SFRPG has it all finished!

Why not just update the game system coins that the function is expecting? You need to do that for the other currency functions anyway (parcel, party sheet, etc).

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Why not just update the game system coins that the function is expecting? You need to do that for the other currency functions anyway (parcel, party sheet, etc).

JPG
    Traveller has the universal 'Credit' but Cash on Hand is the one that's affected by normal transactions. It's not in a list of currencies as such, still it's all done and I learned how to override things which is important I think.

Cheers

From what I understand I can do this when loading my scripts with extension.xml. Can I do the replace function on a per-control basis as well? Can I just change my lua on say onHealthChanged for a single box or other instances like that?

Are you just trying to add a new coin type? like CRD where normally it uses GP?
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information