5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Character Sheet Import Question

OK, I am hosting my first game this weekend and I still don't know how to accomplish this. My players have rolled up characters on their local machines and sent the <charactername>.xml files to me via e-mail. I cannot get those to show up when the players connect to me. They only have the option to create a new character. They do not even have the option of playing a local character. I've searched the forums and come up with a bunch of cryptic info, but nothing that I can seem to piece together. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Place the xml into your db.xml file under the node for characters. Make sure the xml is well formed, and all should be well.

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

I don't know why you are doing this, anyway. Players can pick their local characters while connecting for the first time, when they become server characters. There's no need to touch XML.
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar
    I don't know why you are doing this, anyway. Players can pick their local characters while connecting for the first time, when they become server characters. There's no need to touch XML.
    OK, this is how I would expect it to work, but that's not happening. I guess I am trying to figure out why. I mean, what's the point of having the players roll characters locally if they cannot select them for play upon entering a campaign? If you could elaborate, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eriadoc
    OK, this is how I would expect it to work, but that's not happening. I guess I am trying to figure out why. I mean, what's the point of having the players roll characters locally if they cannot select them for play upon entering a campaign? If you could elaborate, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    For players to create characters locally, and then use them in your game they must use the same ruleset. If you're using the d20-SRD ruleset, and they're creating local characters using the d20 ruleset, they will NOT be given the option to select their locally created character.

Hope that sheds some light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher
    For players to create characters locally, and then use them in your game they must use the same ruleset. If you're using the d20-SRD ruleset, and they're creating local characters using the d20 ruleset, they will NOT be given the option to select their locally created character.

Hope that sheds some light.
    This was the problem. Thanks a ton for the help everyone!

Thread Information