5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 7 of 8 First ... 5678 Last
    Once again. you do not need an IP in the country you are in.

The IP can be anywhere, it does not need to be in the same country as you or even on the same continent. It will work exactly the same. For this where people are connecting to you it doesn't matter at all. the only reason you might want one in one of those countries is then you can get around the we only supply content to county X.

Followup question to clarify something that was posted earlier. I am having a bit of trouble getting my players in while running a VPN, so here's what I've got and here's what I understand.

1) I am running PIA (Private Internet Access)

2) They don't do port specific forwarding but do port forwarding where they just tell you what the port is

3) I (and my players) can run FGU by adding the port to the command line -pXXXX

Here's the part I need clarification on. Currently I just click on the icon in Windows and it runs. Does this mean going back to the old command line prompt in order to run the program? Just wanted to clarify because I think two of my players would be fine with this and the third's head will explode.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Taj Calvin View Post
    Here's the part I need clarification on. Currently I just click on the icon in Windows and it runs. Does this mean going back to the old command line prompt in order to run the program? Just wanted to clarify because I think two of my players would be fine with this and the third's head will explode.
    Setup a new shortcut to run FG and add the -pXXXX argument to the shortcut Target
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi all,

I have the problem that my ISP uses carrier-grade NAT that forbids me to use port forwarding. Does somebody have any experience on how to fix this ? Before spending anymore money on pureVPN or a FGU licence or whatever, I would like to have at least a small hint that it has already worked to solve my problem.
    Thx for your help.
    Chris

Good Day and Welcome Belisix
    On the first page of this message there are numerous options. I hear many good things about Hamachi (And I believe it is free)
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ng-Try-Hamachi

Here is the front page with more options
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives

Here is the first post
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives
    Last edited by Bonkon; May 14th, 2020 at 17:50. Reason: Added link to first post. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belisix View Post
    Hi all,

I have the problem that my ISP uses carrier-grade NAT that forbids me to use port forwarding. Does somebody have any experience on how to fix this ? Before spending anymore money on pureVPN or a FGU licence or whatever, I would like to have at least a small hint that it has already worked to solve my problem.
    Thx for your help.
    Chris
    Welcome Chris. Yes there have been numerous people who have used the various VPN options to solve the CGNAT and port forwarding issues.

You can download the FGC demo and install for free. Then you can download Hamachi per the instructions in the linked thread and do your own testing. This will validate that the environment works and then you just will need to buy the appropriate FG license.

Note that FGU bypasses the port forwarding requirment. Note that you can not test the network connections with the free FGU client. But, their is a 30 day money back refund you can use if you purchase FGU and can't get it to work (but it should, as it has a cloud brokering option). Just note that FGU is in early access and has issues, it it not yet a stable 'production' release and you may have issues from time to time.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

On a side note....is the cloud option suppose to substitute Hamachi and similar services? I have a natted internet connection, so I cannot forward the port 1802. In your opinion will the cloud be better that Hamachi performance-wise? I'll try to get a static public ip but it will be pretty hard...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktedesco View Post
    On a side note....is the cloud option suppose to substitute Hamachi and similar services? I have a natted internet connection, so I cannot forward the port 1802. In your opinion will the cloud be better that Hamachi performance-wise? I'll try to get a static public ip but it will be pretty hard...
    Yes the Cloud brokering connections mean you no longer need Hamachi or another VPN to get around public IP/Port forwarding issues. Given that FGU is in beta and having lots of changing and the cloud networking is something under constant tuning, no idea if it will be faster than Hamachi at any given moment right now. But I trust in the future it will, but we will have to wait and see.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

you forgot neorouter - free (if selfhosted) easy client install - but its a full access vpn (and blocks upper port numbers for some old video games)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zionmatrix View Post
    you forgot neorouter - free (if selfhosted) easy client install - but its a full access vpn (and blocks upper port numbers for some old video games)
    Thanks Zionmatrix
    We include services that people have written up how to use with Fantasy Grounds.
    If you have a guide on setting it up with Fantasy Grounds then Im happy to include it.

Thread Information