STAR TREK 2d20

Creating an "IFA" conditional

I browsed a bit through manager_actor2 in the 3.5 ruleset and don't see why there isn't an "IFA" conditional.

To clarify, IFA would fire during the check of the defending token's effects. If the defender has an "IFA" clause, a conditional check can be run against the attacker to see if the defender gets additional bonuses.

Is there a reason this kind of conditional was left out?

"IFT" runs a conditional against the defender to gate effects of the attacker occurring, ie: if the target is lawful or chaotic, take X amount of damage extra. "IFA" would be useful for things such as gaining DR when attacked by evil creatures and so forth. A more common example would be protection from evil and spells of that ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I browsed a bit through manager_actor2 in the 3.5 ruleset and don't see why there isn't an "IFA" conditional.

To clarify, IFA would fire during the check of the defending token's effects. If the defender has an "IFA" clause, a conditional check can be run against the attacker to see if the defender gets additional bonuses.

Is there a reason this kind of conditional was left out?
    It wasn’t left out. For defensive effects IFT is essentially reversed. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post371030
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's possible? I had players from several groups saying it's impossible to create an effect like this, I VNC'd real quick, and well.. it works. The 3.5 wiki might need a clarification for the IFT as it's worded to imply it only resolves for attackers rather than attackees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    The 3.5 wiki might need a clarification for the IFT as it's worded to imply it only resolves for attackers rather than attackees.
    The wiki says for IFT: "Ignores the remainder of the effect components within the effect label, unless the opposing actor has the specified condition."

It doesn't mention attacker at all. "Opposing actor" can mean defender or attacker in an attack.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The wiki says for IFT: "Ignores the remainder of the effect components within the effect label, unless the opposing actor has the specified condition."

It doesn't mention attacker at all. "Opposing actor" can mean defender or attacker in an attack.
    So if the effect is to add 1d10 damage to evil... if both "opposing actors" are evil would they both get the damage applied if they "attacked" the target with the effect or attacked as the person with the effect?

i.e.

PC, effect 1d10 extra to target if evil, attacks evil NPC, gets 1d10
    NPC, attacks PC, PC is evil, gets 1d10 applied to damage on PC

Because that's what it sounds like to me tho I could be missing some bit of logic here.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    So if the effect is to add 1d10 damage to evil... if both "opposing actors" are evil would they both get the damage applied if they "attacked" the target with the effect or attacked as the person with the effect?

i.e.

PC, effect 1d10 extra to target if evil, attacks evil NPC, gets 1d10
    NPC, attacks PC, PC is evil, gets 1d10 applied to damage on PC

Because that's what it sounds like to me tho I could be missing some bit of logic here.
    See the link I posted above: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post371030

Think of the effect as either attacker action orientated (attack - ATK, damage - DMG, etc.) or a defending thing (AC, SAVE, DR, etc.).

So - if you are attacking, you will look at your IFT actions that are relevant for the defender that are related to attacking actions that can be targeted (ATK, CMB, etc.).

If you're the opposing actor to an attack (the defender) then IFT defensive effects (AC, DR, etc.) that are on the you (the defender) are checked against the opposing actor (the attacker) to see if the IFT is relevant as part of the defending side of the attacker's action.

From this, we see that even if both sides had IFT: ALIGN(evil); DMG 1d10 only one would be triggered - the attacker when they roll their damage action. As damage is an attacker to defender effect - an attacker damages a defender.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 30th, 2018 at 22:38.

Trenloe's answers are how they were built.

You can even mix and match attack/defense effects, such as "IFT: ALIGN(evil); AC: 2; DMG: 2d6".

That effect would mean that any evil creature attacking you would give you +2 AC versus their attack, and you would get +2d6 damage against any evil creature you roll damage against.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information