STAR TREK 2d20

Switching from PC to Mac

Hey Everyone,

I have recently made the switch from PC to Mac. Got my FG installed without issues so far, but was wondering if I'm going to be able convert/move it over to the Mac (is file structure the same once installed?). I have my files backed up on DropBox also, but dot run FG off it (just copy files over after session).

New Mac user myself so any advise or help will be much appreciated

Thanks

If you use parallels it will just work (if you have internet set up)

@Bidmaron, not sure what you mean by "parallels", might be me just being a dumbs hit here if you wouldn't mind elaborating on this. Unless you mean just copy files from my PC into DropBox and then from Dropbox into my MacBook

Thanks

Parallels is a virtual machine. You can find it here.
    You may have the challenge any pc user has with port forwarding but once you get that right it works great.

There are plenty of folks using wine but I know next to nothing about that.
    Oh, you will have to own a valid windows license to use it.

Thanks Bidmaron.
    Will look into that.

What if I just wanted to transfer my campaign files over? One of the things I use FG for also is connecting it to a TV lying down, using it as a digital tabletop for maps and such. Do you know if the file transfer from PC to Mac is straight forward?

Welcome fellow Mac person. You should be able to just copy your files over. If you click on the folder button on the upper right of the Fantasy Grounds launch screen you'll get a folder that opens. This is where you can copy your campaigns, extensions and modules from your PC. Anything you purchased from the store should automatically download to your mac once you have logged into your account within Fantasy Grounds. I've attached a picture.folder-icon.jpg
    Last edited by dmbrown; April 29th, 2018 at 16:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Parallels is a virtual machine. You can find it here.
    You may have the challenge any pc user has with port forwarding but once you get that right it works great.

There are plenty of folks using wine but I know next to nothing about that.
    Oh, you will have to own a valid windows license to use it.
    You should not need to run parallels to use Fantasy Grounds on the Mac. It has a native client as far as I can tell. You should just need to move your campaigns under the appropriate file directory on the Mac for access.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imjedi View Post
    You should not need to run parallels to use Fantasy Grounds on the Mac. It has a native client as far as I can tell. You should just need to move your campaigns under the appropriate file directory on the Mac for access.
    FG does not run natively on a Mac. The Mac installer for FG includes an embedded version of Wine. Wine and Parallels are both emulators or virtual machines for Windows.

The FG installer for Mac instals and sets up the Wine environment for you, making it mostly transparent and just a matter of running the installer. But, if you want to run other Windows programs, or you want more control over things, then you can follow Birdmaron's example and use Parallels. All depends upon how involved you want to be.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I’ve been running on a Mac for over a year now hosting a game with 4 players and it has been going well.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    FG does not run natively on a Mac. The Mac installer for FG includes an embedded version of Wine. Wine and Parallels are both emulators or virtual machines for Windows.

The FG installer for Mac instals and sets up the Wine environment for you, making it mostly transparent and just a matter of running the installer. But, if you want to run other Windows programs, or you want more control over things, then you can follow Birdmaron's example and use Parallels. All depends upon how involved you want to be.
    Ah, my mistake. That is unfortunate that it is running through wine. I assumed since it had its own installer that it was a native app.

Thread Information