DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 11 of 15 First ... 910111213 ... Last

Thread: C & C Questions

I GMed a campaign in the day where the players started hunting Rocs and, after barely surviving the encounter, finally decided upon Griffins as steeds. They spent a lot of time and money acquiring them and it was nice in the sense that it greatly expanded their range - and hence their ability to do things. (I ended up ruling that they had to get eggs and then bond with the Griffins shortly after hatching.)

Anyhow, is this a mix of mounts and familiars - or just familiars?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    I GMed a campaign in the day where the players started hunting Rocs and, after barely surviving the encounter, finally decided upon Griffins as steeds. They spent a lot of time and money acquiring them and it was nice in the sense that it greatly expanded their range - and hence their ability to do things. (I ended up ruling that they had to get eggs and then bond with the Griffins shortly after hatching.)

Anyhow, is this a mix of mounts and familiars - or just familiars?

It really depends on the class in question. Expanded familiars, more powerful mounts, even enhanced weapons or other belongings IIRC - all depending on class and what advantage(s) you take.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Technically @Mortar was "in charge" of doing all Haunted Highlands content for FG while I was doing the Aihrde stuff, etc. I was considering butting in and doing the Players Guide to the Haunted Highlands anyway, but we'll see. I have some C&C stuff coming that I haven't announced yet (plus the one that I did announce). However — TLG recently announced that they're going to do a whole new version of both Haunted Highlands books, and the DB-series will be removed from that and re-issued as its own boxed set. Having the DB-series in the CKG2HH was problematic for FG because — just like what may happen with M&T + Classic Monsters once M&Tv5 is released — SmiteWorks is rather hesitant to just remove DLC that people have paid for. One option was for @Mortar to not bother including those in the CKG2HH but remaster+update the existing ones and do the new ones and those could be a "package deal" included with the CKG2HH. The other would be to simply do it as one huge DLC and now the customers have two versions of some of the same content in their Library... Similarly, Rune Lore is still available on FG because it was the most expensive C&C DLC for who knows what reason, but TLG have officially discontinued it as a product. @Moon Wizard and I did some extremely "quick 'n dirty" hotfixing to make the DLC "good enough" (or at least passable) fixing the errors, etc. but all the class, rune spells, equipment, etc. will reappear in Adventurers Backpack once I do that. TLG is officially repurposing (and I think rewriting) the lore/adventure section of Rune Lore, so once that's done, there's another DLC that will, to a degree, repeat what some customers already own.

That's funny that the CKG2HH is the first book you've enjoyed. The HH books in particular have a reputation for typos, etc. More than usual from the Typo Lords.

As for more material to run an Aihrde campaign... eh... not really. After Winter's Dark is good for lore, but I'd recommend the PDF over the DLC (although I'm thankful for the commission if you buy the DLC! ) same with the Codex of Aihrde. Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde is ok as well. If you run the A-series, that's set in Aihrde. Or plug-n-play any favorite adventures from any other edition into Aihrde. I still haven't decided where I'd place Neverwinter in Aihrde, for example, if I wanted to run Lost Mine of Phandelver without doing too much work beyond renaming things. Same with any of the classic 1E adventures...
    Well, I am actually glad to hear that a box set is in the works for the DB series. They've got their art game kicked-up and if they can get a handle on the cartography, they'll have a fine product. (The Bowbe Roadhouse has 21,000 square feet on the first floor - someone needs to get on that.)

Compared to The Free City of Eskadia, The CK Guide to the Haunted Highlands is a joy to read. The former is so bad that it is often...inscrutable. At least the adventure portion is rough - i really need level 5-7 material and it seems to fit the bill though I have seriously considered tearing the book into two parts a couple of times now. (Yeah - I have both print and digital and have misgivings that I hope the city proper will ease.)

Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde is the only one that is still on my radar. The Book of Familiars -Mystical Companions now (?) - is one that I would like to read, but having DLC seems overkillish given the rarity of familiars.

Thanks for all the info!
    Its not just typos. Its the number of typos, and the sloppiness of the layout (inconsistent application of styles throughout a given work) that is driving me nuts. If something like "1st level" bolded once, then it should appear that way consistently. The CKG has paragraphs where it appears both in bold and regular text. If a table name is updated or changed between editions - the paragraph that is beside that table in the layout (and where that table name appears in bold) should be correspondingly updated. Inconsistent spacing before and after non-alphanumeric characters...CKG, pg 208 left column is a great example.

Oh....Gasses/Gases

/end rant....crawling back under my rock now.
    Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortar View Post
    Its not just typos. Its the number of typos, and the sloppiness of the layout (inconsistent application of styles throughout a given work) that is driving me nuts.
    Say his name a few times and he appears... Mortarjuice! Mortarjuice! Mortarjuice!

Hey, there's a reason I headbutted my way into being an editor for them, after all! Speaking of which:

Oh....Gasses/Gases
    An ellipsis is three dots, not four! Unless you have an ellipsis at the end of a sentence, in which case certain style manuals allow a period following the ellipsis. BOOM!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    An ellipsis is three dots, not four! Unless you have an ellipsis at the end of a sentence, in which case certain style manuals allow a period following the ellipsis. BOOM!
    Wasn't intending it to be an ellipsis, I originally had almost an entire line of dots but figured that was way to much so reeled it back a bit and never bothered to look

Mortarjuice just sounds wrong
    Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    Mortarjuice just sounds wrong
    Doesn't it, though? But I didn't think saying "Beetlejuice" got the point across quite the same.

M'kay so four dots (or more) equals "lengthy sigh of exasperation," got it!

Guess that I will remain upbeat and will simply acknowledge that it could be better.

Blog Entries
    Guess that I will remain upbeat and will simply acknowledge that it could be better.

Use the guts and make it your own creation on top of the ruleset.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Use the guts and make it your own creation on top of the ruleset.
    Right on, I can handle that. I am a GM class of '77 guy, John, so we are of the same era and I am familiar with getting a module and only stealing ideas from it

An actual newbie question...

I am plugging in weapons where the text says something like the NPC is +9 to hit with this weapon. Meanwhile, the NPCs to hit bonus is only 6. How does one write the weapon out so it receives the to hit bonus?

Also, it is not clear to me how the system knows if a weapon is melee (str bonus) or ranged (dex bonus) on the NPC sheet. I've been tweaking the Bonus to Hit, but honestly I am not sure if that it the right thing to do - and it is usually not accurate for both classes of weapons.

Thanks!

Thread Information