DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    I think you misunderstood what damned meant. From a logical viewpoint, effects duration shouldn't have anything to do with your next initiative. This may be how xxx game rules are made, and then that's how FG xxx ruleset should work, but that's another story.
    I understood the message but keep in mind I also don't play 5e all that much. My game is AD&D where a lot of durations on spells are random.

That said, a spell that says "lasts until your next turn"... if the turn happens to be 1st and you went last previously, well thems the breaks IMO.

But that's the type of game I like.

Rolling initiative is a "house/optional" rule as is something like the extension I wrote. The DM and their group can decide if they like that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This thread is in the generic CoreRPG forum and, as has just been mentioned, this can be very much RPG specific. Do things expire at the end of the round? At the beginning or end of a actor's turn? Something else? It can vary widely - and there may even be multiple differences within the same RPG ruleset.

So, I don't think this can realistically be done for the generic CoreRPG ruleset. Maybe on a more ruleset-by-ruleset basis.
    You are right in that I don't think CoreRPG has "init" as a effect value but the mechanics I used to implement the "reset to current initiative" was. So... as long as the ruleset based on CoreRPG has a "init" value used for the same thing it should work. For that reason tho I listed the extension as 5E.
    Last edited by celestian; April 22nd, 2018 at 18:56.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I understood the message but keep in mind I also don't play 5e all that much. My game is AD&D where a lot of durations on spells are random.

That said, a spell that says "lasts until your next turn"... if the turn happens to be 1st and you went last previously, well thems the breaks IMO.

But that's the type of game I like.

Rolling initiative is a "house/optional" rule as is something like the extension I wrote. The DM and their group can decide if they like that style.
    It seems it's me who got you wrong

Usual problem with written messages, and may be also english not being my native language.This also happens to me two or three times a year in french

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    It seems it's me who got you wrong

Usual problem with written messages, and may be also english not being my native language.This also happens to me two or three times a year in french
    No worries. It doesn't help im not a 5e guy either. You speak more languages than me and I probably don't speak the one I use very well
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I realize I am treading dangerously close to thread necro-ing.... BUT wouldn't the most sensible solution for "effect lasts until the end of your next turn" or "1 round" effects be changed to "effect expires at the end of the initiative count cast in the following round".

To illustrate this lets look at a wizard casting color spray. Normally (i.e., initiative is not rerolled), the blindness effect would expire as the Wizard starts his/her turn on round 2. Without my suggestion and initiative being rerolled each round, if the wizards has a R1 initiative of 15 and casts color spray then on R2 has an initiative of 17 would mean the blindness effect did not last as long. With my change, the blindness effect would last until R2 initiative count 15 (potentially allowing a character to act after the wizard on initiative count 16 BEFORE the blindness expires).

This seems logically simple and I would be interested in playing around with a system like this, but my coding/programming skills are non-existent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DealBreaker View Post
    I realize I am treading dangerously close to thread necro-ing.... BUT wouldn't the most sensible solution for "effect lasts until the end of your next turn" or "1 round" effects be changed to "effect expires at the end of the initiative count cast in the following round".

To illustrate this lets look at a wizard casting color spray. Normally (i.e., initiative is not rerolled), the blindness effect would expire as the Wizard starts his/her turn on round 2. Without my suggestion and initiative being rerolled each round, if the wizards has a R1 initiative of 15 and casts color spray then on R2 has an initiative of 17 would mean the blindness effect did not last as long. With my change, the blindness effect would last until R2 initiative count 15 (potentially allowing a character to act after the wizard on initiative count 16 BEFORE the blindness expires).

This seems logically simple and I would be interested in playing around with a system like this, but my coding/programming skills are non-existent.
    The way re-roll init and effects expire with the 5E ruleset is exactly as you describe.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information