5E Character Create Playlist

Thread: Read Magic?

Read Magic?

I was just reading over the Read Magic spell and got confused. In past groups we always used Read Magic to use a scroll that you normally would not be able to cast due to level/class. Normally if you did not have read magic you would have to make a use magic device or caster level check. However, reading the discription it sounds like you must cast read magic to "decipher" the scroll before the adventure (10min./level) and then "you are thereafter able to read that writing without recourse to the use of read magic." Does this mean that if I goto a spell library, use read magic on every scroll avaliable, then in the course of adventuring I will be able to identify and cast any of those scrolls that I might happen to find? Or does it only apply to the single scroll which I cast read magic on? If I use it on a mages spell book then can I use scrolls of the spells found within the book without a check? Or even if I use read magic on a lvl 9 cleric scroll and I am only caster lvl 2 do I still have to make a caster lvl check? I'm sooo confused!!!
    Last edited by Ganadai; April 22nd, 2006 at 17:34.

Nevermind I figured it out...

1. Decipher the Writing: Requires either read magic or Spellcraft (DC 20 + spell level).

2. Activate the Spell:
    - Must be the correct type of scroll (divine or arcane).
    - The spell must be on your class list.
    - User must have the requisite ability score.
    - If your caster level is equal to the caster level of the scroll then no check is needed. Otherwise, you have to make a Caster Level check (DC 1 + scroll's caster level). If you fail that check you must make a DC 5 Wisdom check or suffer a Scroll Mishap. A natural 1 always fails the above checks.
    Last edited by Ganadai; April 22nd, 2006 at 17:48.

I happen to answer my own questions very often. ;P But thanks for answering yours, it is useful to me as well.
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

Thread Information