5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: I give up!

I give up!

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to use this software any longer.

Because:
    1) The program doesn't support big enough map sizes in hi-res.
    2) A single player (or client) can not have up to 8 PC at once.
    3) Horrible implementation of grid scales sizes and functionality.
    4) Constant disconnects and crashes.
    5) Not being able to run in dual-screen modes.
    6) Misc. problems such as template editing and lack of updates.

Now I realize that most of these issues I have with the problem will supposidly go away after patch 1.06 is released, but that was supposed to happen like 2 months ago, so I'm not holding my breath any time soon for the new release. Until these issues are solved (by patch 1.06 being released), I'll maybe come here once a week to check on progress but I can't be an active supporter or participant in the forums, etc. I'll also be removing my links from my website to this one as well and probably be supporting a competitors product that is reported to be out soon, with it partnering with the Dundjinni software. I had high hopes for this software and hopffully this team can fix these problems soon or FG will end up being thrown into the pile of software I have bought that has yet again failed to deliver what it promised. *sigh*
    -Dan
    Visit my website at:
    www.danielpryor.com/dundjinni/

Someone else posted that you can use dual monitors by streaching the FG window over both. I thought that this was possible as well but had never tried it.

Just out of curiosity, what other program are you going to try out?

Hmm, I wonder if you will even see this.

rv

2) A single player (or client) can not have up to 8 PC at once.
    I have had very little trouble regularly running games with 7 characters and have occasionally gone up to 8 with no stability issues that I can recall.
    4) Constant disconnects and crashes.
    Again, no problems here ... any issues I have had are due possibly to using lots of Devin's wonderful tokens and causing FG to have fits trying to synch these with 7 players. That said this seems to have become somewhat inconsequential to my players I think ? (comments guys ?)
    and probably be supporting a competitors product that is reported to be out soon
    I'm guessing you are talking about Heruca's venture which I'm interested in looking at ... my gut reaction having just played with the demo's is that it scores over Fg with graphics (tho' I'm no expert ... my own maps as you've seen will hardly test it) and a couple of other things but it does not offer a paperless system (and I don't think was intended to). What I would point out that this too has been delayed by 2 months.

On that issue ... there is clearly a conspiracy against me :
    1) CC3 ... where is it ?
    2) BG ... still being tested ... Heruca ?
    3) The revised Sengoku material .... painfully late and no real hint of a release date ... which is really irritating.
    4)

I think you all know what comes in at number 4

I am reminded of a quote from a soccer manager (English) some years ago who was interviewed on TV and amazed the interviewer by saying something both pithy and almost intelligent (said manager was not known for either the former or the latter) :

"I promise results not promises"

Everyone has their limits I guess. Being a programmer (no I don't work for SmiteWorks) I probably have a lot more tolerence for software bugs than the average end-user.
    As a player the occasional crash doesn't bother me anymore. It's more annoying when DM'ing and you have a lot of stuff to set up again but doesn't happen often enough to wind me up.

I think SmiteWorks have done a good job of getting the fundamentals in and we will see an increase in features (and stability) over time. Come back in a few months and see how FG beats the pants off the opposition

I had 6 players the other night with no major issues. One player was getting booted but I restared FG and all was well. I usually try to reboot my side before a game.

No map issues or any problems with scales or grids.

rv

Quote Originally Posted by Toadwart
    Everyone has their limits I guess. Being a programmer (no I don't work for SmiteWorks) I probably have a lot more tolerence for software bugs than the average end-user.
    As a player the occasional crash doesn't bother me anymore. It's more annoying when DM'ing and you have a lot of stuff to set up again but doesn't happen often enough to wind me up.

I think SmiteWorks have done a good job of getting the fundamentals in and we will see an increase in features (and stability) over time. Come back in a few months and see how FG beats the pants off the opposition
    I am with you Toad. I too am a programmer (also no affiliation with SmiteWorks), so I fully understand the amount of work that is required to get things working right. This is a very long process as new features are added to an existing product. New features often break old ones, and everything has to be tested, and re-tested.

I'll just sit back and enjoy it when it comes.

I have also worked for a software company and delayed releases are a way of life. They say that 1.06 should be out in April and hopefully it is still on track for an April release. There is a fine line when it comes to releasing software. Release it to early and it is bugy, try to fix every problem and it will never get released. There is no such thing as bug free software, I don't care how good the programmers are. I think you should wait a bit before jumping ship. This competitors product you mention was supposted to be released before Christmas and from what I see many of the features in that product will be stripped out for the first release. I do admit, it looks like an interesting product, and I'll probably buy it. The main reason I will buy it would be to help support a startup company. Twenty dollars of my money that I'll never miss that potentially may help a company that may one day be a great success. I truely believe that competition is the greatest motivator for improved software development.
    BTW, dual monitor support does work in FG, I have been using it for almost a year. If you need help in getting it going PM me.

Don't want to hijack the thread here but I had no idea that I was hanging out with so many computer geeks! Kidding all... actually I'm quite thankful as I have very little useful computer skill other than a keen appreciation for what a smooth running program (and machine) can do for me. Which leads me to my point...

I know I'm new to FG and playing, not DMing, so I don't have to deal with any of the issues that I'm sure has frustrated many an online DM a time or two. Nonetheless, having been graciously invited to play in Stuart's Qabbal campaign - exceptional work I might add - we had 7 players online sunday without a problem. Tokens look great, maps are crisp and clear and I don't really recall anyone having problems crashing.

So Dan, I hope you at least stay in touch and can find solutions to the problems you are having. I'm just finding out how great the folks on FG are, hope you can stay around and be part of it.

Mike
    Wanna Play? playing Wanna DM? maybe sometime... Best day to play? Flexible Best time to play? Evenings Time Zone: GMT -4 (EDT)

About the release date of 1.06. Take your time. I would rather they took their time to release a quality update than rush it to try and please a few. How many games/software have released products or updates too soon?

Too many for me to count.

They might at least give us the beta! I cannot wait any longer!
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

Thread Information