DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Tips and/or pitfalls to avoid as a new player

Hello all.

I was recently invited to a campaign and it will be my first time playing D&D. Everyone has been very accommodating in my party and I think I will be able to pick up the mechanics with their help easily enough. I am just wondering if there are certain habits to avoid to be courteous to the other players or things you wish you had known when you first began.

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Hey Buront, welcome to the forums

Well, first thing is to be considerate to others. And since you're asking, I doubt you will have a problem with it.

You will find some groups are very much about the rules, and other aren't. As long as you don't worry too much about any one thing and try to have fun, I suspect you will.

Just relax, follow along, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Have fun!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    First and foremost: don't be afraid to speak up if you have an idea or a question. You never know when something you're thinking or wondering about will be the springboard to more fun, more learning...or maybe even both. And a good GM always prefers players who at least try to engage with what's going on, rather than sitting back quietly and giving no clue as to whether they're enjoying it or not. It's all about interaction!
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going!

(But I'll happily be GM...)

Blog Entries
    D&D and other RPGs are generally best when everyone is contributing to the story.
    The GM does talk the most but the players should always try to be involved - maybe not in every scene - some scenes are going to let the thief shine and others the druid - but dont hide. Get involved.
    On the other hand - dont monopolise the story, the speaking time, the acting time - unless its that scene thats tailor made for your character.
    Always be courteous to your fellow players and your GM - at the table, away from the table and in between game communication.
    Not every table will suit your style or personality and vice versa. If it doesnt work out chat with the GM after the game or the following day and thank them for the session and let them know you are going to look for another group.
    If someone asks you to leave take it on the chin. Listen to their point of view and thank them and move on. You will have a better game experience where you all like each other.
    If you cant make a session let the GM know as soon as you can.
    If **** happens and you miss a session let the GM know as soon as possible.
    Unlike a MMORPG or other style of drop in online game, RPGs are very personal and need all the people together at the same time working towards a common goal (a good story that everyone enjoys making). Its easy for one person to mess that up for the others.
    If someone is disruptive have a chat with the GM after the session.
    If someone is making uncool comments (racist, sexist, obscene etc) I think its best to call it out straight away and tell them you dont think its cool and you would appreciate them not talking that way - hopefully the GM will do so but if they dont someone needs to. If you get called on something like this - apologise and think about what you said.
    Some games will tend towards a particular flavour of game that doesnt suit you - have a chat with the GM and discuss it after the game.

The game is about YOU. Have fun with it. But remember its also about everyone else at the table so help them enjoy being the hero too.

Thread Information