5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Creating a ruleset: finaly getting my feet wet

So I first attempted to create a ruleset for a french RPG in december but didn't get enough time to go further than documentation reading and creating the first almost empty files, which at the time didn't produce much of a working character sheet.

I'm getting back to it and am tackling the first problems, discovering the ropes and quirks of FG framework and API.

Here's the thread where I intend to ask for help and/or enlightenment. I'll try to find answers by myself first, but please, be patient

First thing - it’s not cleear if you’re starting from scratch or building on top of CoreRPG? It is strongly recommended that you build a layered ruleset on top of CoreRPG - you’ll inherit lots of base functionality and will be able to take advantage of future new functionality. All the recent commercial rulesets, and many community ones, are developed this way.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok, so here's my first question…

After wrestling a bit with the XML code, I managed to display the first traits on 3 different lines as I intended, but was surprised to see them vertically aligning when I thought they shouldn't because of different width specified.

Here's the result:
    Alignement.png

When Race width is set to 150, Taille and Main directrice to 50 each!

It looks like automated alignment took place, which is often a good thing, but does someone know what the rules are? I'd better know them if I want to stay in control of my design.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    First thing - it’s not cleear if you’re starting from scratch or building on top of CoreRPG? It is strongly recommended that you build a layered ruleset on top of CoreRPG - you’ll inherit lots of base functionality and will be able to take advantage of future new functionality. All the recent commercial rulesets, and many community ones, are developed this way.
    I'm building on top of CoreRPG as recommended, which I understand perfectly and agree with. Thanks for your quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    I'm building on top of CoreRPG as recommended, which I understand perfectly and agree with. Thanks for your quick response.
    Hi JML,

What Trenloe has said is spot-on, 100% correct. Something for you to consider, in addition to what Trenloe has said, is to build your new Ruleset on top of the DORCore instead of the CoreRPG.

What is the DORCore?

The DORCore is a ruleset that itself is built on top of the CoreRPG and includes all of DOE Extension already built-in, plus a Universal Dice Roller and some other, minor (but nifty) tools. You get all of the benefits of the CoreRPG plus an expanded Dice-Rolling Engine plus automatic access to arguable the most popular Extensions ever written for Fantasy Grounds - all in one package.

So take a look at the DORCore (here) and consider it for the basis of your new Ruleset - and good luck, its a big job you've set yourself on but a very, very rewarding one.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    Ok, so here's my first question…

After wrestling a bit with the XML code, I managed to display the first traits on 3 different lines as I intended, but was surprised to see them vertically aligning when I thought they shouldn't because of different width specified.

Here's the result:
    Alignement.png

When Race width is set to 150, Taille and Main directrice to 50 each!

It looks like automated alignment took place, which is often a good thing, but does someone know what the rules are? I'd better know them if I want to stay in control of my design.
    This will more than likely be due to anchoring on a control and inheriting sizing information from that control. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...face#Anchoring

Without seeing your XML we really can't see why this is happening. Please include examples of your code in future so we can help further.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Anchoring must be the reason behind it as you point out. I took a look at the documentation regarding anchoring but didn't see anything regarding size inheritance. May be I missed it.

Anyway here's the code I used:
    Code:
            <sheetdata>
                <frame_char name="cadreDescription">
                    <bounds>15,0,-29,135</bounds>
                </frame_char>
                <string_labeled name="race">
                    <anchored to="cadreDescription" position="insidetopleft" offset="15,10" width="150" height="20" />
                    <labelres>char_label_race</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="genre">
                    <anchored to="race" position="right" offset="5,0" width="50" />
                    <labelres>char_label_genre</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="age">
                    <anchored to="genre" position="right" offset="5,0" width="50" />
                    <labelres>char_label_age</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="taille">
                    <anchored to="race" position="below" offset="0,15" width="50" height="20" />
                    <labelres>char_label_taille</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="poids">
                    <anchored to="taille" position="right" offset="5,0" width="50" />
                    <labelres>char_label_poids</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="beaute">
                    <anchored to="poids" position="right" offset="5,0" width="50" />
                    <labelres>char_label_beaute</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="main_directrice">
                    <anchored to="taille" position="below" offset="0,15" width="50" height="20" />
                    <labelres>char_label_main_directrice</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="heure_naissance">
                    <anchored to="main_directrice" position="right" offset="5,0" width="150" />
                    <labelres>char_label_heure_naissance</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
                <string_labeled name="haut_revant">
                    <anchored to="heure_naissance" position="right" offset="5,0" width="50" />
                    <labelres>char_label_haut_revant</labelres>
                </string_labeled>
            </sheetdata>
    It's very raw as I'm only testing how things work for now. I hope it'll get much prettier sometime

By the way, I also was surprised to have to explicitly give height on each new line to display the horizontal underlines. Otherwise they don't appear. I obviously have much to learn…

@Dulux-Oz
    I gave a try to your great extensions already and will get back to you with suggestions someday, but I'm still wondering if I'll ask permission to make this an official ruleset and am wary about copyright future concerns if I'm lucky enough to be granted the aforementioned permission.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I already thought about it and will keep it in mind.

Blog Entries
    Anchoring to different things like insideleft or right etc have different values that are inherited and that are required.
    It can be confusing!

Now that I know where to look at and what kind of surprises may be encountered I'll try to note them. Is there a place to reference them ?

Thanks for your quick answers guys.

Thread Information