Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. #1
    Curaidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    34

    Player cannot download files

    I recently purchased the Starfinder Ruleset and I'm trying to get everything set up.
    I'm running an Ultimate license of FG, and everything is working fine with e.g. the PFRPG ruleset.

    The current person I'm testing with has an Ultimate license of his own, but doesn't own the Starfinder Ruleset.
    Shouldn't he be able to join a Starfinder game when I host it?

    Whenever he connects, his client starts downloading files, and simply stops at 20% with no error message. After a few minutes his client just exits into the launcher.

    Since there are no errors shown anywhere it is damn difficult to troubleshoot this problem, therefore I'm turning to these forums for help.

    Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this behaviour?

  2. #2
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    8,804
    Blog Entries
    9
    Couple things to try and to look into:
    Have the player delete their cache and try again.
    Try creating a new campaign and joining that.
    Verify neither router has flood protection enabled.
    Make sure the players anti virus has FG whitelisted.
    Check the FG directory for a lot or console file (don't remember the correct name). Post the results back here.

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  3. #3
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    8,804
    Blog Entries
    9
    Log file, not lot!

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  4. #4
    Zacchaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    11,868
    Test in a new campaign with nothing shared at all. If there is still an issue then it is likely to be on the player's side. If he can join your game then you may be sharing too much. Make sure you aren't sharing DM only modules or too many player modules. Ask the player to check how much memory FG is using at his end whilst FG is running.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea to the wish list http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

  5. #5
    Curaidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Couple things to try and to look into:
    Have the player delete their cache and try again.
    Try creating a new campaign and joining that.
    Verify neither router has flood protection enabled.
    Make sure the players anti virus has FG whitelisted.
    Check the FG directory for a lot or console file (don't remember the correct name). Post the results back here.
    Cache was deleted, no success.
    Also created a completely empty new SFRPG campaign, no change.
    At least on my end there is no issue with the router. ("Flood protection" generally refers to ICMP flood attacks, specifically "ICMP Echo floods". This shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on FG)
    On my end FG is whitelisted, will verify with the "player".
    There are no log entries according to the player, and my own log is useless for this, as mentioned.

    "[12.03.2018 12:05:38] Network Notice: 'XX' connected
    [12.03.2018 12:06:18] Network Warning: Client connection 'XX' closed
    [12.03.2018 12:07:18] Network Notice: 'XX' disconnected"

    He used his real name so I "XX"ed it.

    I guess I'll launch wireshark on my end, see if I can figure anything out.


    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Test in a new campaign with nothing shared at all. If there is still an issue then it is likely to be on the player's side. If he can join your game then you may be sharing too much. Make sure you aren't sharing DM only modules or too many player modules. Ask the player to check how much memory FG is using at his end whilst FG is running.
    I did, Empty campaign, no characters, no modules, nothing.

    Looks like some network problems, but why only with SFRPG? I guess because he doesn't need to download the PFRPG ruleset... weird.

  6. #6
    damned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,549
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Curaidh View Post
    Cache was deleted, no success.
    Also created a completely empty new SFRPG campaign, no change.
    At least on my end there is no issue with the router. ("Flood protection" generally refers to ICMP flood attacks, specifically "ICMP Echo floods". This shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on FG)
    On my end FG is whitelisted, will verify with the "player".
    There are no log entries according to the player, and my own log is useless for this, as mentioned.

    "[12.03.2018 12:05:38] Network Notice: 'XX' connected
    [12.03.2018 12:06:18] Network Warning: Client connection 'XX' closed
    [12.03.2018 12:07:18] Network Notice: 'XX' disconnected"

    He used his real name so I "XX"ed it.

    I guess I'll launch wireshark on my end, see if I can figure anything out.


    Edit:

    I did, Empty campaign, no characters, no modules, nothing.

    Looks like some network problems, but why only with SFRPG? I guess because he doesn't need to download the PFRPG ruleset... weird.
    TCP Flood is most definitely "a thing" it isnt limited to ICMP or UDP.
    Your players router may have some TCP Flood settings in its advanced firewall settings.
    Your player may be on a Wifi connection and its not as good a signal as he thinks it is?

    MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

  7. #7
    Curaidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    TCP Flood is most definitely "a thing" it isnt limited to ICMP or UDP.
    Your players router may have some TCP Flood settings in its advanced firewall settings.
    Your player may be on a Wifi connection and its not as good a signal as he thinks it is?
    You are ofc absolutely right. However, again under normal circumstances, a single program should never ever trigger any flood protections. (Also most routers don't give a damn about outgoing connections, their default security features are designed to protect the internal network from external threats - however bad or good it works is another topic)
    I've set up wireshark and will have the player try some more, maybe I can find something but I doubt I'll be able to see anything on my end though.

    If FG did trigger flood protection settings in the past, I'd genuinely like to speak with whomever implemented the network part of FG. I might even be able to help fix that. (Combined Network Engineer and Software Engineer here)

  8. #8
    Curaidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    34
    That did the trick... There is definitely an issue with FG here.

    I'm registering 26+ incoming connection attempts all from different ports from the players IP.
    Here's just a snippet that shows what's going on:
    from <source IP>:58014 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:06:06
    from <source IP>:58008 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:51
    from <source IP>:57989 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:46
    from <source IP>:57828 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57826 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57825 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57824 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57827 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57823 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57822 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57821 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57820 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57819 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:41
    from <source IP>:57816 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:33
    from <source IP>:57815 to <target IP>:1802, Monday, March 12,2018 12:05:26

    I'm sorry but this is... not ok. Why does FG need this many connections to the GM from a single player? What if 4-5 players try to connect simultaneously?
    So yeah, this could very well be a SYN flood protection triggering. Might even be in my managed switch with IDS features that sits behind my router and takes care of vlans for me, I'll have to check further logs.

    Edit:
    Yep, found the issue. My security suite on the switch kicks in and drops the attackers packages before they reach my PC.

    Now the question remains if this is intended FG behaviour, because this needs fixing on the software side.
    Last edited by Curaidh; March 12th, 2018 at 16:07. Reason: Updated info

  9. #9
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    8,804
    Blog Entries
    9
    The network architecture of FG is in the process of being re architected ��. It's part of the entire program being rebuilt on the Unity platform. The current networking was done many years ago under a previous owner and developer.

    There is no announced release for FUG, but we all hope it is soon. A date will probably not be announced until 3 months prior to release.

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  10. #10
    Curaidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    The network architecture of FG is in the process of being re architected ��. It's part of the entire program being rebuilt on the Unity platform. The current networking was done many years ago under a previous owner and developer.

    There is no announced release for FUG, but we all hope it is soon. A date will probably not be announced until 3 months prior to release.
    Thank you very much!

    I guess I'll have to temporarily disable my network security whenever a "new player" joins.
    We confirmed this to be only an issue during the download of the ruleset to the client, whatever it is that happens there exactly.

    After initial connect, I can simply turn back on the security and the player can connect just fine.


    Thanks to everyone jumping in with comments and trying to help, it is much appreciated.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in