STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Third party Starfinder character creation tools?

The FG character creation capability is not shall we say ....... "elegant"
    I tried the Hero Labs Online StarFinder character creator when it first came out (maybe a month ago) and was not satisfied with it.
    Is anybody using another third party Character Creation tool for StarFinder that they really like?
    Has Hero Labs Online improved significantly in the past 30 day?
    ChumSlinger
    Guaranteed fresh, 100% Grade A Nerd

I have been using PCGen, unfortunately it does not have a export yet for Starfinder for Fantasy Grounds but considering they have it for other rule sets like Pathfinder I expect them to soonish.

Does PCGen support XSLT?

Gonna research that, maybe a nice project to take on.
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

I am pretty annoyed with Lone Wolf holding Starfinder hostage in the hopes that it will be the back-bone for some unlikely online subscription scheme. Why-TF they can't just release it for the regular Hero Lab app... They've been on a losing streak and are doubling down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    I am pretty annoyed with Lone Wolf holding Starfinder hostage in the hopes that it will be the back-bone for some unlikely online subscription scheme. Why-TF they can't just release it for the regular Hero Lab app... They've been on a losing streak and are doubling down.

Hey Top what do you mean by this?

I mean that in order to use Starfinder as a character generator for Hero Lab, you have to go with the new online version and pay a monthly fee. You don't just buy it. And Starfinder doesn't have a 'normal' set that you can purchase.

I own Hero Lab for Savage Worlds and it is pretty cool because I am able to actually add settings and extra rules to the thing. But online - that customization isn't going to happen. So that is a reduction in capabilities for me.

Anyhow, they are using Starfinder to push a new business model.

EDIT: I was told that the online version of Hero Lab _WILL_ support custom files such as those I mention.
    Last edited by Topdecker; March 6th, 2018 at 23:58.

Here is what I mean about being able to customize Herolab. The checked items are character generation rules that I created. The others were created by other players. None of that is going to be possible in an online model.

EDIT: I own Hero Lab - I bought into their system and paid through the initial price hurdle. That Lone Wolf decided to make another discrete system is ok, but making exclusive content for it is BS.
    Last edited by Topdecker; March 3rd, 2018 at 03:20.

TopDecker, I am with you on this. I doubt I will continue buying content over there. The delays with RealmWorks are just beyond explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    TopDecker, I am with you on this. I doubt I will continue buying content over there. The delays with RealmWorks are just beyond explanation.
    I actually _really_ like Hero Lab which is why I feel somewhat betrayed by the lack of Starfinder content. Who ever is at the helm over there is steering towards the shoals.

RealmWorks - I own it. It is wrong for me because I play online - it would be a lot more useful if I did more face to face gaming (and had the time needed to enter a lot of data and organize it). I will not talk it down beyond saying it was a belly flop at best - it has to have been a money pit.

Competing with yourself by making a SECOND character generation program while offering NOTHING to your existing customer-base is just so obviously flawed that a cranial-rectal inversion is surely in progress. I mean their head has to be WAY WAY up there.

It would have made a lot more business sense to add online character sheets (i.e. no character gen, but a fully functional and shareable character sheet) that are managed from their existing Hero Lab product. By paying a reasonable fee, you could as a GM allow your players online access to character sheets that a player and you can interact with in real time. THAT would have been admirable, much more achievable, and engage your existing customers.

Thread Information