DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

How many magic missiles do you have at 4th level?

This came up in the game last night. The spell description says that at first level you have three magic missiles each doing 1d4 damage. For each level above 1st - now I'am 4th - you can cast an additional magic missile does this allow me to cast 6d4? I know in the 3.5 edition rules you gain an extra magic missile every 2 levels above first up to 9th I think. This is confusing me for some reason.

Blog Entries
    Spells in 5e work differently.
    You can cast the spell using a higher level spell slot and then you gain the extra MMs.
    So using a level 2 spell slot lets you send 4 MMs.

Moved to the 5E thread as this is a 5E specific question.

Everyone who read this: please remember to post system specific questions in the relevant sub-forum. It gives you a more accurate answer and doesn't waste time with people wondering what system you're talking about or giving answers for a different system or reading your post if they're really not interested in that RPG system. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

D&D 5E doesn't actually have a 'caster level', so almost always when a spell or ability references the level you cast it at, it is referring to the effective spell level (based on the spell slot used to cast it).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

In Fantasy Grounds it does not let you put it into a higher level slot, it still goes into 1st level. How can this be tweaked?

Each magic missile is a separate attack so you don't get 6d4 you get 6 missiles each doing 1d4 damage. Not all of the missiles need to be targeted at the same enemy.

For spells which have more damage at a higher level (other than cantrips which you would just manually increase the damage at the appropriate level) you have two choices. Either create a new line in each spell which can be cast at higher levels and edit the damage to be correct for that level. Or you can leave it at just the base level and when you do damage instead of just double clicking to do the damage click on the damage and hold and drag. Once the dice pop up you can right click to add more dice and once you have the correct number drop it on the target either on the CT or on the token on the map.

So, for example if you did want to cast all of your magic missiles at one target and your DM was happy for you to do them all at once grab the damage, hold and drag and the d4 will pop up on your mouse pointer. Now right click 5 times to add the additional missile damage and then drop on the target.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

So if your character is level 4 and you can cast up to your 2nd level spell slot you would have 4 magic missiles, three at first and an extra one at second. I would assume this would also use up a spell slot at that level if you were to place it there.
    Last edited by Nihthawk; February 19th, 2018 at 14:34.

Yes. If you cast MM using a 1st level slot you get three missiles and use a 1st level slot; if you use a 2nd level slot then you have 4 missiles and you use the 2nd level slot.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Each magic missile is a separate attack so you don't get 6d4 you get 6 missiles each doing 1d4 damage. Not all of the missiles need to be targeted at the same enemy.
    So, for example if you did want to cast all of your magic missiles at one target and your DM was happy for you to do them all at once grab the damage, hold and drag and the d4 will pop up on your mouse pointer. Now right click 5 times to add the additional missile damage and then drop on the target.
    Magic Missile is actually the one spell this doesn't quite work for. Each missile does 1d4+1 damage, so you also have to apply a modifier (by default the box at the lower left corner of FG) equal to the number of extra missiles you're going to add to that target before click-dragging and right clicking. For example, if you are going to strike one target with all three missiles from a 1st level Magic Missile, you would set the modifier to 2 FantasyGrounds_2018-02-19_08-46-37.png, click and drag the damage roll from the spell effects, right click twice 2018-02-19_08-48-22.gif, and then drop the roll on your target. This will give you a total of 3d4+3. FantasyGrounds_2018-02-19_08-48-51.png
    You can find my work for D&D 5th Edition on the DMs Guild.

Thread Information