DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Making progress on a HackMaster 5e ruleset

Felt like posting since I feel like I've made some decent progress hacking (no pun intended) some things together on a basic HackMaster 5e ruleset. The only thing I have so far is the HackMaster exploding/penetrating dice mechanic but I feel pretty proud I got this working.

Not all dice rolls penetrate in HackMaster but the ones that do work like this: a roll of max on a penetrating die result in rolling that die again, subtracting 1, and adding it to the initial value, continue penetrating rolls as long as max is rolled. To put this another way, if you roll max on a penetrating die, reroll the die and add it to the result, continue until you don't roll max, then subtract 1 from the total for each expoding die.

To make this more complicated a d20 penetrates to a d6 and the backstab ability allows penetration on max or max -1.

I implemented this through a 3 state button next to the normal dice location, this button toggles between Penetrate On, Penetrate BS (backstab), and Penetrate off and affects all dice rolled via console commands or rolling the 3d dice.

hm5e_penetrate.PNG

Credit to MoreCore for the original exploding dice mechanic I butchered to get this working.

One improvement I made is to have the text description of dice rolls show in the chat window along with any modifiers that apply, as far as I could tell MoreCore doesn't do this when you roll the 3d dice.

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and I am sure there are much better ways to do what I've done but its just for my groups use so who cares

If anyone is interested in this ruleset let me know and I can figure out how to get it to you. I don't want to step on any feet of course, my "work" is based on the CoreRPG ruleset with code stolen from MoreCore, the ikael dicemechanics specifically.

Blog Entries
    Well done prongbuck

That particular MoreCore code was initially written by Ikael and converted with his permission.
    Later scripts are built differently and do include the Roll description.
    Nice work on this

The third thing I have looked at in the last few minutes that is exciting to me, a Hackmaster ruleset!
    DM/GM Since 1985. Unity and Classic Ultimate License.

Don't get to excited It's meant primarily for me and my group to use, it won't be anywhere near as complete as other rulesets around. I just plan to implement the basic penetrating rolls, the minimum functionality necessary in a character sheet, and I'll see about modifying the combat tracker to work a little better with the count up combat system.

We had one test game using the CoreRPG ruleset, the players had physical character sheets in front of them and used that for tracking spell points, wounds, etc.

Blog Entries
    Hi prongbuck is there any reason you are not making this as a MoreCore extension?
    You then get to use a much more flexible character sheet.
    You could also modify the current spell points if required etc to get it how you want it.
    Have a look at some of the other MoreCore extensions in my signature.
    I need to load up some others too.

There are a couple reasons:
    1. I'm not sure how extensions fit into the whole picture in terms of overwriting/modifying base game elements. For example I added code to the existing manager_actions.lua script in the roll function. I felt it was more important for me to just get things working as opposed to getting things working in a better or proper way,
    2. MoreCore has, well, more, to it I found the CoreRPG code and organization simpler and much easier to follow
    3. Lack of experience. I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and haven't done any kind of coding/development in years. I'm also not familiar with the full capabilities of each ruleset.
    4. My primary goal is to get something basic hacked together so my group can start playing ASAP.

I don't think its unfair to say that peering behind the veil of Fantasy Grounds requires an insanity save Theres a lot to figure out, and while there is alot of information on developing out there I've run into issues with information being for previous versions of FG and wasted time and effort in troubleshooting code that just won't work.

All that being said I will have a further look at MoreCore.

Blog Entries
    Have a look at one of the extensions and have a look at these brief videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...sX4cqFlcerBvW3
    You shouldnt overwrite manager_actions.lua you shoudl create an additional one in most cases.
    Also by not using an extension and writing your changes directly into CoreRPG or into a copy of CoreRPG it will either get overwritten by future updates or your copy (unpacked or copied) will become out of sync with CoreRPG and not gain any of the new features.

It is somewhat convoluted to add the older style/format scripts (as that one would be being based off Ikaels Dice Mechanics - which is not to say there is anything wrong the code just for MoreCore the newer style self registers once included) but you would typically add 2 (or possibly 3 but probably not) new rollers/slash commands within that file - /hackpen and /hackstab and then you can add them to Roll Libraries and drag and drop them to character sheets etc.

Thanks damned, I'll have a look at extensions and the video.

I am aware of the overwriting of code due to updates, I copied the CoreRPG ruleset, renamed it HackMaster, and have been modifying that.

I think what I will do is leave what I've done so far as its in a state that is good enough for my group to start playing and then investigate how to do things properly using MoreCore as a base. I actually had no intention of doing any customizations of any type but I've been enjoying it so I'll continue to tinker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prongbuck View Post
    Thanks damned, I'll have a look at extensions and the video.

I am aware of the overwriting of code due to updates, I copied the CoreRPG ruleset, renamed it HackMaster, and have been modifying that.

I think what I will do is leave what I've done so far as its in a state that is good enough for my group to start playing and then investigate how to do things properly using MoreCore as a base. I actually had no intention of doing any customizations of any type but I've been enjoying it so I'll continue to tinker.
    Hi prongbuck can you send me your dice script then and Ill see if I can pull it into MoreCore.

I'm going to give converting it to a MoreCore extension a shot over the next couple days.

Thread Information